Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Where is the best snorkeling in the Seychelles? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/where-is-the-best-snorkeling-in-the-seychelles-347836/)

lovetravel Aug 13th, 2003 06:31 PM

Where is the best snorkeling in the Seychelles?

Hello Fodorites!!

My husband and I are planning our 2nd Anniversary trip to either Botswana and the Seychelles, or South Africa and the Seychelles.

One bit of trouble I am having is which island in the Seychelles to choose - snorkeling and diving are very important to us. North Island and the Banyan Tree on Mahe look beautiful, but we want more than just a beach trip - we can get that here in the U.S.

Also, we REALLY want to see Anse Praslin with those incredible rock formations - how is travel between the islands?

Why is it so difficult to find info on the Seychelles? Uggh!! :)

Thanks so much!!

sandi Aug 14th, 2003 05:04 AM

North Island is the newest and oh so luxurious. The Banyan on Mahe runs a close second. But as far as the snorkling, you can probably find it at both places as the water is magnificient.

Not being a snorkler or a "water person" in any form, I can't comment with specifics, but I would either contact the lodge/hotel with your questions - do they have a dive operation, where do they snorkle, etc. and see how they respond. If you're not satisfied, find out from your tour operator if you're working with one or contact the Seychelles Tourist Office - there is one in NYC and maybe in LA, where Air Seychelles has a booking office, if they're still there.

We met lots of people who felt the best snorkling and diving was off the island of Mahe - lots of hotels have their own dive operations - so who really knows.

The "beautiful rock formations" are Granite and are located on the island of La Digue at Anse Source D'Argent. It is easiest to get to La Digue from Praslin Island, by ferry (about 1-hr).

The trip from Mahe is a few hours by ferry; or by plane you fly to Praslin (about 15 min) then the ferry to La Digue.

I would try to split my time between at least two islands, depending on how long you'll be staying. We spent 5-days on Praslin and did various day-trips to other small islands, a full day to LaDigue; then 3-days on Mahe.

The reason it's so difficult to find information is because "the Seychelles are a beautiful Secret".

You'll definiely enjoy your stay there!

Peep Aug 18th, 2003 12:46 AM

There's great snorkeling around Cocos Island, just off La Digue. At the La Digue port you can hire a boat to take you over there for half a day or whatever. We were there a few years ago and were pretty disappointed to find that most of the coral was dead.

sandi Aug 18th, 2003 12:10 PM

Peep -

It seems that global warming is hitting alot of places and, unfortunately, the Seychelles are one of them - and because they're about 5 degrees off the Equator doesn't help.

Lovetravel -

There's also snorkling near St. Pierre Isl. off Curiuese (sp) Island, as well; off of Mahe there are a few snorkel spots - but not being a snorkeler I cannot comment with any expertise or the condition of the coral in these two places.

It might be best to contact the hotel and ask specifically.

darren Aug 19th, 2003 01:19 PM

lovetravel,

My wife and I recently returned from the Seychelles and if you are looking for snorkeling and diving, do NOT stay at Banyan Tree. Banyan Tree is very luxurious and an excellent resort with a beautiful beach but the snorkeling and diving are not good.

North Island has very good snorkeling and excellent diving. It is also a very luxurious resort.

I wrote out a much longer description for you but for some reason I am unable to paste it. Email me and I will gladly forward to you, [email protected]

Have a wonderful trip. The Seychelles are much more beautiful than any of the pictures.