Where is Tanzania Under Canvas now?

Old May 12th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is Tanzania Under Canvas now?

More specifically, where will TUC be in three weeks? Am wondering if they will be too close to Grumeti River.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Eben's site indicates that during June TUC will be in the Central Seronera area, not moving to the Western Serengeti till July.

As we found 2/yrs back, beginning June, the herds were in the Central, not moving to the western till late-June/early July... later in July heading northern Serengeti then into the Mara.

We happened to have been in the Western corridor begin-June, with little wildies present. Rather took 1/full day to drive to Seronera and found the herds here, in the woodlands and though difficult to see, could sure hear them. The Zebra, however, were still in the southern planes, not to join the wildies for another 1.5-2/weeks. Then Zebra, Wildies and Antelope could move through the western and northern Serengeti to the Mara.
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi, and thanks for the reply. I was wondering if the unusual rains this year changed the typical pattern of TUC being in the Central Seronera.

We're spending 3 nts with TUC, I hope we do more than just hear the wildies <s>.

I read Eben's wonderful site and downloaded Google Earth, only to see that he has taken down his files. </s>
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:30 PM

I had been considering spending 2/nts at TUC on my upcoming trip, but nixed that as they were just too high even for moi - agent!.

Clem - I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandi. But the trade off is you get to go there so often. This is only our second trip (and at these prices, we are saying it could be our last).

Ignore that cross out on the above post - it is a glitch with my computer. I meant to say those words and I have no idea why it often crosses out the last thing I type on Fodors... (also there was supposed to be a smile at the end of my sentence about hearing).
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:45 PM

I just googled TUC as I had never heard of it. WOW - looks fabulous! So, you get to migrate along with the game? But in comfort.

I am thinking more and more that CC Africa will be arranging our tour next spring/summer, whenever we are able to go. They really do seem to have the most interesting plans and tours around.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Momliz, TUC is supposed to be wonderful. There are several choices now of luxury mobile camping. What I've been told is that you don't pick up and move on, it only moves seasonally, or if something changes (like the severe rains this year). There are camps where you do pick up and move on every few days, esp in Kenya. But you can't have as much luxury as this (because it's so much work to set these up). We are staying at many CCAfrica's places soon, and I'll write a report.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM

The Serengeti in Tanzania is really the ideal location for mobile and/or seasonal tent camping. Level of luxury or not will vary, always depending on one's budget. At CCA properties, e prepared to spend $800+/person/nt. CCA does a nice job but there are options that cost less.

There is mobile camping in Kenya which is wonderful, also at different budgets, but the lux is the best that is offered (in my estimation).
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:18 AM

I did not see this post until someone ask me via email to please answer this.

I keep track of all the mobile camp locations on a weekly basis. This time of year, TUC prefers the Rongai camps and can be found at Rongai 4 - also known as Elmakati - on my map here:
http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/SerengetiCentral.jpg

I must apologize. The special camp sites are being renamed and my map is not 100% accurate yet. For example, Elmakati has been renamed to Rongai 4.

I will update my maps soon.

Eben
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Momliz, also check out Nomad Tanzania. I agree TUC looks wonderful (oh to have the $ and time to compare/contrast the various seasonal tented camps in TZ!) but we loved everything about Nomad. I understand their Loliondo camp has been completely redesigned. Sure looks good on Eben's website.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Clemantis, did you do a trip report? Im interested in TUC.

Richard

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:05 AM

We were at TUC last September and loved it:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34864322
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:37 PM

I stayed at TUC in February and it was, by far, my favorite place to stay. As I stated in my trip report, I shed a tear when I left.....I did not want to leave. I planned the while trip with CCAfrica and loved it. They even helped get me a couple of TUC hats after I came home (I paid for them of course) but they were great in arranging for them to be shipped to me.

Have a really great trip!