Where in the Serengeti for late Sept/early Oct.?

Dec 6th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Where in the Serengeti for late Sept/early Oct.?

I don't expect anyone to be able to guarantee great animal sightings but can you give me a best guess? Your best guess would be tons better than me trying to guess myself.Would really get a "kick" out of seeing alot of wildebeast and/or zebra. Looking at Tarangire for 2 nights(hoping for lots of elephants), the Crater for 2 nights and then 3 nights ??? That sure seems short compared to all these 3 and 4 week safaris but it's ,hopefully, better than not at all. Thanks to all.
Dec 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
sandi

The wildebeests are in the Masai Mara (Kenya) in September/early-October. You can easily from the Crater return to Arusha and fly to Nairobi for a connecting flight to the Mara.

If you wish to stay in Tanzania - then the very northern areas of the Serengeti where you'll probably find the overflow. It's also important to know that there are resident wildebeests in the Serengeti that never migrate.

"climbhighsleeplow" (Eben's) recent post about where the herds are likely to be found; the accommodations in various areas of the Serengeti is a good place to start.

Do a search for "climbhighsleeplow" or "Eben"... unless (my good friend who comes thru in just such situations) bat - can find that link again (it was posted earlier today or late yesterday for another who was inquiring about this same subject. Another search you can do is on the name: "sonali" - who I believe was the individual who was asking a similar questions.

Dec 6th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I suggest you go the Masai Mara!

1. Fly to Naiobi, then to Kilimanjaro in the early AM
2. Drive to Tarangire for 2 nights
3. Tarangire
4. Drive to Ngorongoro for 1 night (afternoon game drive)
5. Early game drive then drive/fly back to Arusha/Kilimanjaro in time for 2pm flight to Wilson Airport and on the Masai Mara
6. Masai Mara
7. Masai Mara
8. Masai Mara
9. Fly back to Wilson Airport and transfer to Nairobi for home flight.

You could stay 2 nights at the Crater but I would not. 2 game drives there are plenty.

In the Serengeti you have to go to Seronera and points north to see the most wildlife. These are long drive distances which makes the Masai Mara excursion quite attractive.

Eben
Dec 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM
bat

dreamseeker and sandi:

I believe that we actually need Eben to do his geometric magic and configure the area for late Sept/early Oct. He has done this for Jan-Mar and for June/July. But I do not think he has done it for late Sept/Oct.

I'll pull the other threads and post them in a minute.
Dec 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Eben, Sandi, other experts,

So if someone didn't have the $ to fly to the Mara, would the default be to stay in the Seronera b/c there's enough resident wildlife to keep a first-timer happy for a few days? Or...?

What about Lobo? How's resident wildlife there?

Just curious.
Dec 6th, 2005, 01:01 PM
bat

Well, I found the threads but I see that Eben posted while I was searching. Maybe we should start a thread called Eben's migration geometry! In fact I think that I will.
Dec 6th, 2005, 01:06 PM

In Sept/Oct a combination of Seronera and the far north are the best places to be in the Serengeti.

In the far north, Sayari is best then followed by other seasonal camps near Kogatende. Bologonja camps are a bit far to the east as is Klein's camp and their new mobile camp - but these will also work if Sayari is full (the night drives are actually very good on the CCAfrica concession).

In these months the wildebeest and zebra go back and forth across the Mara near Sayari to/from the Masai Mara.

Seronera has resident wildlife and cats and the combination of this area and the north offer a good contrast.

BTW hopefully in 2006 one can fly to Seronera, Kleins and Kogatende!
Dec 6th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Leely, yes Lobo has plenty of residents but now that the Mara region has become available Lobo has competition but it is fine if one cannot afford the seasonal camps in the north.

Unfortunately, as far as I know (not 100% positive) Sep is still hunting season just across the hills from Lobo (the UAE) which is why I am not crazy about this area in Sep and soon after.

If you stay at Klein's or Bologonja camps some of the game drives will indeed go down to Lobo.

Dec 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM

"Unfortunately, as far as I know (not 100% positive) Sep is still hunting season just across the hills from Lobo (the UAE) which is why I am not crazy about this area in Sep and soon after."

Oh, that IS a bummer to say the least. From what I've read and heard, it's a very beautiful area.
Dec 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM
sandi

Ditzy me. Keep forgetting that though Eben is in Afree-kah, he's connected. Guess I shouldn't be mentioning your name when you are "with us."

dreamseeker - As the itinerary that Eben posted, it's best to drive back from Ngorongoro - sure it's 5-hrs, but it's 2-1/2 drive to Manyara the closest airport (pay for a flight) and short hop to Arusha. Leaving early from the Crater, you arrive in Arusha in time for lunch and connection to the 1:45pm flight to Wilson (Domestic) in Nairobi; connecting to the 3pm flight to the Mara.

Leely - of course, if budget is an issue, one can stay in Seronera, but if traveling in September - the Mara is "the place." And budget can be a fact if wanting a place in north Serengeti such as Klein's (very expensive), Sayari (high but can be doable) or seasonals (also high) mobiles can be semi-lux. And then one has to consider the time it takes to get north. And unless your itinerary includes a stop mid-way on the return drive, most people choose to return fly from the north to Arusha.

In the Mara, I believe, there are more options for lodges and/or camps. While many of those who plan early go for the best positioned accommodations, with the herds constantly moving, so do visitors. It's rare that one can go that wrong here, whether on the river, the private conservation lands, west or east side.

Dec 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,
I've been reading replies with great interest and actually tried to post questions back but for some reason,they didn't show up. I guess my computer inefficiencies are showing. Anyway--what do you all think about these 3 options?
Tarangire 2 nights
Crater 1 night
Seronera 1 night
Sayari camp (if I can afford it) 2
nights and fly back to Arusha or

Ebens and Sandi's itinerary going
Tarangire to the Crater and
from the Crater to Arusha to Nairobi
to the Mara (where there) or

just doing a Kenya safari

???????

So many thanks to you all!!