Search

Pondering Botswana... :)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Peep

Pondering Botswana... :)

We just spent 2 weeks in Namibia driving around and loved it! So now we're thinking about Botswana and/or SA for our next big trip. I think we can figure out SA easily enough but I don't have a clue about Botswana. I've heard that we can't expect to drive ourselves and that most places are expensive. We'd like to stay places for less than $200 per night for a double. Can y'all help me get started? Any suggestions for itineraries? How much time should we spend there? Thanks!

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Travelsmiles

Contact Bert duPlessis at Fish Eagles in Houston and ask him for his advice. That's the best place to start. And do some research here - many posts.

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Peep
Thanks for emailing your trip reports as you went - any chance of a summary report for the board? I bet others would love to hear about your trip since it sounded so wonderful!

So, Botswana!

I think people do drive on their own and it can be done without all the little flights between remote camps - there are a number of camps within reasonably easy access of Maun - the jumping off point for the delta. But it's nice to be able to visit those remote camps if you can.

I'd have a look at the website of Wilderness Safaris and take a look at the itineraries they suggest and do the same on sites such as 2afrika.com, www.africaguide.com etc.

That gets you a very rough starting point.

In terms of deciding where to go you can consider Linyanti/ Chobe area, the Delta, the Kalahari (particularly the Magkadigkadi Salt Pans) and decide which areas appeal most.

Need to decide overall trip budget and duration if you can and then work from there. I think.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
In August I spent 2.5 weeks in SA and a sidetrip to Mashatu in Botswana. If you are already in SA, this is a relatively "cheap" add-on. Although Mashatu is literally next door to SA, once you cross the border at the Limpopo River it really is a different country. My experience at Mashatu was excellent.

Mashatu has a website and I've seen it referenced on the fisheaglesafaris website also.

Of course this is just one of the many, many camps in Botswana and I'm sure others will share their experiences they have had elsewhere.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Peep

The Fish Eagles guys are pretty expensive, aren't they? I'd prefer to use a local travel agent if I'm going to use one. Any recommendations?

I'll for sure post about our Namibia trip sometime soon! It was fantastic!!

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 02:44 PM

Magkadigkadi Salt Pans = Makgadikgadi!
I always get that the wrong way around!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Hi Peep -- Go2africa is less expensive than Fisheagles, but like me, you've just begun to research (and get confused) We're going to spend the next couple of weeks reading various guides from the library Then I can ask better questions of the tour agent company folk....and also here. I'm falling in love with Botswana, plus May/June is a good time for me to take off work, and that's apparently a good time to go there. Or Sept or Oct, if we just can't get our act together.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Peep

Cool, Busted! We're thinking about May, too!

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 06:23 AM

May 2004?
That's when we'll be in South Africa!!!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Peep

Maybe we'll see you or Busted! Who knows what we'll end up doing...

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 04:56 PM

LOL, Peep, imagine having a GTG in SA!
Do post your details of the trip, they were the most entertaining reports that I have read..don't leave out the part about the cobras
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 12:35 AM

Oh yeah, the bit about the cobras was cool - would have scared the pants off me!
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Kavey, I'll soon begin planning my next trip to S.A. and Botswana for late-May or early-June, 2004. Do you have an itinerary already?
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 05:56 AM

Yes I do, it's on this forum but hard to plough through and find, email me and I'd be happy to send it/ discuss it.

Kav
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Coastsurfer

Peep, the reason to use Fish Eagles as ONE of your research sources is their experience in Botswana. They will happily discuss the options, if they know your budget. Also, this firm has recently provided information about very inexpensive trips they offer there, during the off season. And the prices were amazingly low. You will also want to check both Froomers and Fodors guides, and the Wilderness Safaris website. This will get you started in beginning to map out your itinerary, and the transportation otpions for travel between camps or areas. Good luck.