Reload this Page >

Where can I find rainforest, safaris and SCUBA opportunities in Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Bethany Lee

I've always had a dream to go to Africa and I'm not getting any younger so I've started to search for information. Can anyone recommend a destination in Africa where I can find accessible rainforests, safaris and also can SCUBA off the coast? Or can anyone suggest a tour company that could help me set up a vacation? Thanks!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:41 PM
jim

Bethany<BR>Phinda offers scuba diving as an actiivty. you can check this website<BR>http://www.ccafrica.com/destinations/southafrica/phinda/<BR><BR>We have made our plans through a very good company. Since I don't think this board shuld be sued for advertising, I won't name it here. But if you want to e-mail me at the above address, I would be happy to prvide the details. They have been very very good to work with and put together a great itinerary for less than I though it would cost considering what we are doing. One point - a couple in our group had to cancel and had their deposit credited to their AMEX card within a couple of days - no problem - no hassle.<BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:45 PM
jim

Bethany -- Freudian slip - i meant to say that I didn't think this board shoudl be "used" for advertising - not sued for advertising.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:44 PM
angela

I'm not a scuba person but I know that when we were in Zanzibar it was a popular location for enthusiasts....it is also a fabulous location in terms of the interestingly mixed ethnic and cultural history of the east African coast. We combined Zanzibar with a safari in Zambia which is somewhat off the beaten track compared with Tanzania or Kenya.<BR>On the rainforest you may need to go to Madagascar or Uganda but I'm not familiar with either destination...in general the Sub Saharan African safari destinations are not in a rainforest environment.<BR>I'm going to stick my neck out and name the agent I used and liked because I think there is some difference between a personal recommendation with no financial gain and an advertisment..<BR>I loved the travel agent we worked with for our honeymoon because she's a South African and therefore very aware of cost concerns and is familiar with the properties....her site is www.african safari.com<BR>Hope this helps.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Bethany Lee

Jim and Angela-<BR>Thank you so much for the information. I certainly hope no one gets in trouble for the recommendations!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Lotus Eater

The above posters are being far too coy/modest-people recommend specific tours/hotels/restaurants here all the time.<BR><BR>Anyway check out these 2 sites<BR><BR>http://www.intotanzania.com/<BR><BR>http://www.allaboutzanzibar.com

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 09:40 AM
ellen

There is different and interesting diving in Kenya. I dove in Mombasa, Malindi and the Pemba Fishing Channel. There are dive shops at or near all three locations. Malindi is the best of the three with the dive shop next to Hemingways, a very nice hotel. Ellen

Old May 6th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if the OP is still there, the thread was started in 2002.