When to visit South Africa?

May 18th, 2004, 01:35 PM
smg
Original Poster

When to visit South Africa?

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to South Africa. Am thinking during the New Year's Eve period. Generally, how's the weather in South Africa about that time - warm, rainy?
May 18th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Hi smg,

If you are thinking about visiting over the New Year period then get booking places fast. I have just finished booking our trip - leaving on 26/12/04 and returning 09/01/05 - and found that a lot of hotels and safari lodges/camps were booked up already. You will also find that hotel prices are very high since this is a very popular time (local school holidays etc).

I have not been to South Africa before but have read that in the South (Cape Town & Garden Route) it will be very hot & dry. However, in the north it will be hot, humid & wet since it's the rainy season there.

Whereabouts in South Africa are you planning on visiting? I found lots of useful info in the posts here about when to visit, weather etc. I only wish I'd read them before I booked!

I'm sure other South Africa experts will be able to give you more advice.

Good luck with your plans.

May 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Smg, Alison1 is right.

Tourist facilities are more crowded during the summer school holidays (generally from the beginning of December to the middle of January). If you were able to delay your trip even to the latter part of January, it would be better from that point of view.

Summer also is very hot and humid, as Alison1 said, in the northern parts of the country where the game reserves are located. Expect the temperature in the Kruger National Park to be at least 95 deg F, with the possibility of its being 115 deg F, in January. And then it's humid on top of that.

Cape Town's summers are hot and dry. Its autumns usually are sunny and warm.

A better time to go to South Africa, if you have a choice in the matter, is the end of March and into April or alternatively in October.

If you have little choice over timing, it's still better to go than not to go, IMO.
May 18th, 2004, 06:22 PM
smg
Original Poster

thanks for the thoughts, all.

Search this Thread