Search

Cheap and safe safari

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap and safe safari

Hello,

My sister always wanted to do a safari in Africa. Now we all managed to collect enough money for a birthday present.
But first I wanted to have some advice: Is there any chance for a safari that is not that expensive and where mostly young people travel?
I think Tanzania is wonderful isn't it?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM

Is she traveling by herself? What general age is she? I've been on Overseas Adventure Travel trips with all ages, although it's aimed more at older travelers. Their "Safari Serengeti" in Tanzania is a good value. You'd just want book when the Migration herds were in Tanzania.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 01:28 PM

Whether with OAT or other 'group' tours - there are many others out there, prices will vary by season - time of year. Also, which country being visited, whether Kenya/Tanzania or Kenya ONLY or Tanzania ONLY where prices often depend on where migrating herds likely to be located each country. But know that even in the lower priced seasons, does NOT mean there is no game... they just move about as there are no fences and you're not in a zoo.

The most expensive times do tend to be between July/Sept, maybe Jan/Feb and, of course, over the Christmas/New Years period.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 07:05 PM

Not expensive, mostly young people--how about group budget camping? Least expensive would likely be Kenya. Tanzania is indeed wonderful, as is Kenya.

Check out this one. Have to sign in for itinerary. Some pricing given.
http://www.tanzaniasafaris.com/intrepid_travel.cfm

Or this from Good Earth, popular, good reviews. One from Kenya, one from Tanz

http://www.goodearthtours.com/Tanzan...Adventure.html

http://www.goodearthtours.com/Tanzan...Adventure.html

I have not used these companies personally.

Some budget specifics will provide responses in line with what you wish to spend.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

My sister is 25 years old and will travel with her boyfriend (26). We collected 800€ for her, but maybe she can add some money, maybe about 400, by herself. Is this enough for two weeks in one country?

I was just afraid that they will be on a tour for two weeks joined by elderly people. Of course I think that can be nice too.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 04:37 AM

Is she traveling from Europe? What about airfare? Is that in your budget? Given the travelers' ages, a budget camping safari may be the best way to go. Atravelynn has listed some good options. Kenya would also be a good option. Nature Expeditions has some reasonably priced safaris: http://www.natureexpeditions.com/ken...destination=19
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Rare with the budget you show will your sister be able to do more than a budget camping, with maybe a lodge included somewhere - safari with a 'group'. And doubt there would be many (if any) 'mature adults' be participating in this type of safari.

Until your sister checks/inquires of some of the links provided will she have an idea of what is doable or not or for how long.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM

That budget is pretty low for 2 weeks even on a camping safari and not including airfare. Kenya will be slightly cheaper than Tanzania. Maybe they could spend part of their time on safari and part of it on the coast or something else non-safari. Here's another budget camping operator (I haven't used them) http://www.gametrackersafaris.com/

I also wonder if a self drive in Namibia or South Africa would better fit the budget. They could camp or stay in inexpensive self catering places or a mix of both.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 03:10 AM

for two weeks the budget is too low but it is possible for four nights with a game drive to Lake Manyara and Serengeti National Park with the full board Accomodation in 3 stars resort for further contacts email me [email protected] from Tanzania
Karibu(welcome)
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Do you think your sister and her boyfriend would be willing to join a group on a safari ? though they might need a little bit more money than 800 Euro, with this option they can do a budget safari and there is always the added advantage of safety in numbers.

There is also the option of camping safaris where they can sleep in tents out in the open, with only the basic amenities available with a switch to self catering accommodations.

Remember when selecting a package, beware of safari scams, keep in mind that if something is too good to be true (like a $50-per-night safari in luxury bungalows), it's likely a scam.

Finally, always be aware of your package provider's cancellation policy. https://www.tracksbergtravel.com
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your good advice.
I think if she can invest some more money she will find something suitable for her!
I will show her your suggestions after she got her present!
Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:21 AM

Are you particularly set on Tanzania or Kenya?

Kruger National Park in South Africa is great for a do-it-yourself safari. Accommodation in little bungalows is about $100 a night, and if you camp, it's cheaper. You can rent a car and drive yourself in Kruger, and you can also sign up to take drives with the rangers, for about $20 per person. The rangers are very knowledgeable.

I don't know if you can do something similar in parks in Kenya or Tanzania.

Celia
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:54 AM

Self driving is doable but less common in Kenya/Tanzania and I'm not sure that it would save money. If camping, the majority of the cost will be the vehicle and park fees, both of which I believe would be higher in Kenya/Tanzania, and on a group safari that vehicle cost would be shared. I haven't been to Kruger but we were able to get around Namibia in a 2WD saving money on the rental and fuel whereas I'd want a 4WD in Kenya.