When to go to Zambia

Nov 18th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

When to go to Zambia

As much as the off season rates are looking very appealing, I don't think I would deal well with rain so I had planned on doing on our trip in late August/early september. I have seen a few posts here though on how very cold it was (I believe on the lower Zambezi?)whereas South Luangwa was very nice. Do I have that information correct? I have looked up Lusaka weather on the internet, would that be accurate for most of Zambia? Thanks for your help
Nov 18th, 2005, 10:40 AM

dwc0201,

Lower Zambezi will probably be pretty cold in June and July (about the same as Botswana but perhaps not as cold as the Sabi Sand). By August it starts warming up and by September you will hardly need to sleep with a blanket. Daytimes in June and July, wherever you are in Southern Africa, so this only applies to nighttime and early morning weather.

Nov 18th, 2005, 10:46 AM

My visit to South Luangwa was in late August, and to say the weather was "very nice" would be an understatement. Days were warm, but not too hot, with no humidity and with lots of sun, and evenings were very comfortable for sleeping. I don't think we had one drop of rain.
Nov 19th, 2005, 01:04 AM
johan_belgium

Was there for 3 weeks in September. The days was quite warm but not humid. One exception was Lochinvar at the end of September with even some raindrops.
Lower Zambezi was definitely the place where the temperatures were at their highest.

In terms of gameviewing it just depends what you wanne see. F.e. wild dogs are best seen in South Luangwa in the green season.
At the end of the dry season I experienced some good gameviewing especially for lions in all the parks I've visited (Kafue/Lower Zambezi/South Luangwa). My favourite places where the Busanga Plains (Kafue) - if you don't care about tse-tse flies and Tena Tena (Nsefu-sector South Luangwa).

Late August/early September can't go wrong.

Search this Thread