When to go to South Africa/Botswana

Jan 20th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

When to go to South Africa/Botswana

I am new to the Africa Board and seek your expert advice. I want to go to South Africa and Botswana next Dec/Jan. I know it is hot and that does not bother me. I am going to see wildlife including Kruger, Chobe, Moremi, and Sabi reserve.

Is this a good time to go. Unfortunatley, if not then I would have to wait two more years.

Thanks for your help.
David J
Jan 20th, 2006, 03:12 PM

There is no time like NOW: Go and don't wait an additional two years.
yes it will be hot, yes there might be one or two thunderstorms, but the game viewing will be great, December is the majority of the plains game breeding season, so I reckon you'll hvae some great predator sightings.

the upside is that you can get some great deals in Botswana at that time.
Jan 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM
johan_belgium

David,

If you are going to Botswana that time of year I would recommend to go to the Kwando properties Lebala/Lagoon/Kwara.

They are properly priced that time of year and still offer some good gameviewing. It's not like in wintertime but I guess you are not looking for quantity instead of qualtity. I stayed 8 nights at Lebala and 4 nights at Kwara in December 2005 and saw all the major predators.

It's a interesting time to go because everything is lush and green and like mkhonzo mentioned it's the plains game breeding season. Also if you are interested in birds, it's worthwile going because you can see the migratory birds too. Light conditions can be perfect (no hazy skies because of fires) and for the weather just cross your fingers. I didn't experience that much of rain but before I arrived they had some good rains.

And don't wait for another two years.

Greetings,

Johan

Jan 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM

David,

Johan mentions a number of great reasons to visit Kwando in Botswana during December/January. Allow me to add one more:

PRICE

While the rack rate for Kwando in high season (June 01st - October 31st) is $675 per person sharing per night, the rate for December/January is less than half this rate. This will be far less expensive than the Sabi Sand at the same time of year and should have far, far, far fewer tourists, allowing for a very exclusive safari experience.

Search this Thread