When to go to South Africa

Oct 27th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Tjeerd

When to go to South Africa

We have enough miles to travel on KLM from Amsterdam to South Africa Business/First Class and trying to decide when would be the best time. Any opinion about whether November or December are good months to travel. These are dates for 2003. We would like to focus on safari.

Oct 27th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Ronel

Hi Theerd
South Africa is a wonderful country to visit any time of the year. December and January is our holiday season and the weather is fantastic. If you want to go on a safari make sure that you bring along summer clothes.

Oct 27th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi Tjeerd,

The northern regions are good destinations in the winter months (May - August) as game viewing is at its best and the temperatures are very mild (maximum 20-23ºC). There is very little winter rainfall in the northern areas.

An ideal time to visit Botswana to view game would be from April to October when the days are sunny and cool to warm. The peak times to view game are August, September and October. The best time to view flooded areas are June to September/October. Bear in mind that the rainy season is in the summer (October to April).

If you wanted to include Cape Town or the Garden Route in your visit I would say the best time would be February to April and if you wanted to stretch it May.

Thus if you wanted to have a good time in SA enjoying the Western Cape region including Cape Town and the Garden Route then I would start in Cape Town in April, progress into the northern areas for safari in May and then move onto Botswana for a further safari.

Hope this helps.

Oct 30th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Emily

I was in Cape Town from August-December in '99. The weather definitely became heveanly in November till I left. However, if you want to go on a Safari you are pushing it in November. I went on a Safari at the end of Oct '99 in starting in Victoria Falls, Zim. through Botswana. What a heavenly time in my life! ahhhhhh. However, the water holes were drying up then, so this brought in more animals...but soon the animals wouldn't be there because they water would be underground. I would suggest you go in the beginning of November. You will get the best of both worlds! Bring a good camera and animal book! Don't forget your binoculars and Milaria Pills!

Search this Thread