Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   When to go (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/when-to-go-80722/)

Ginger Jul 25th, 2000 05:20 PM

When to go

What month would all the Egypt allumni and experts suggest a 50-something couple plan their trip of a lifetime? Summer is too hot and are there ever fewer crowds? Feb., Jan.,Apr.,?

Dick Jul 27th, 2000 03:44 AM

Circumstances dictated we go to Israel/Egypt in mid-late June. Heat in Egypt was not too bad and tour company did arrange for some days to begin rather early to miss some of the heat. We may have also missed some of the crowds as well. Main thing is to drink plenty of water and take advantage of shade when possible.

Ali Jul 31st, 2000 02:06 PM

Both myself and partner went to egypt in early june although it was still not what you would call quiet it certainly was not too busy, and being there at the quieter time made us felt very priveledged. As for the heat it was 45 degrees most of the time but we actually found the humidity in the UK more unbearable when we returned to Britain than the dry heat in Egypt as the person previous said drink plenty of water which is very widely available. Otherwise get there as quick as you can before tourism picks up too much.

Louise Jul 31st, 2000 02:29 PM

Hi, Ginger - I am not an "Egypt alumni" but am going the end of February beginning of March. The tour company we are going with (Maupintour) says this time is the most popular weather-wise. I do expect crowds tho' that may apply any time. So, we'll see.

Ginger Jul 31st, 2000 02:46 PM

Thanks to all for the replies. Would love to hear how the Feb. trip worked out. Good luck, I'm jealous!

Lee Aug 1st, 2000 03:00 PM

Hi Ginger, <BR>We (another 50-something couple) leave for Cairo on Oct. 2nd for a month long Middle East trip. Our American Express travel agent of many years is from Egypt and advise us that this was the best time of year to visit. Summers are way too hot especially if you cruise the Nile, winters too cold in Israel & Jordan (not too bad if you are just seeing Egypt) and in the spring Egypt can have bad dust storms. Hope this helps.

Ginger Aug 1st, 2000 05:15 PM

Thank you Lee-your reply is very helpful-we will only be doing Egypt and the fall sounds good. Did your travel agent make any comments about crowd size at that time of year? I have heard that is a favorite time for Europeans to travel and I'm sure Egypt would be a popular destination. I do hope your trip will be outstanding in every way!

Karen Aug 2nd, 2000 05:56 PM

We went in April, and it seemed perfect (don't all trips??). Cairo was high of 70's; cooler in the evenings. Far south in Abu Simbel, it hit a high of 100 during the day (the only really hot day). <BR>The only crowds were at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo; but I understand it's always crowded. We didn't have lines or crowds anywhere else. <BR>A few folks thought the evenings on the Nile cruise were chilly; but they were from Florida; we're from Colorado...probably just what you're used to. <BR>Have a great, great trip. <BR>

Myriam Aug 2nd, 2000 10:27 PM

We went in March, just for a week Nile cruise. Temperature was great: warm during the day, cool at night. But ... it seemed that every human being had chosen to be there in March. If we were not really early, we often had to queue at the monuments. Moreover it is not pleasant when you are standing in the back of the group trying to listen to your own tourguide, when you hear tourguides in other languages at your right, at your left, and after you. <BR>This won't happen when you go in July or August but it will be unbearably hot. <BR> <BR>

Lee Aug 3rd, 2000 07:54 AM

Hi Ginger, <BR>We never discussed crowds (just climate) because Egypt is always full of tourists primarily in the Spring and Fall. I think the only way to lessen that is to go with a tour company (lots of good suggestions in past postings) that takes small groups or go on your own and visit the popular places when they open. We are arriving 2 days before our tour starts in order to see the pyramids with a private guide rather than with a large group. (Staying at the Mena House which if you read past messages seems to be the most common #1 choice - check out their website. Not cheap but this is a once in a lifetime trip. Plus it will give us a few days to get over the jet lag before the Nile Cruise starts! Happy travels

Ginger Aug 3rd, 2000 04:50 PM

Thanks all, the information has very helpful. I think Jan.or Oct. might work best for us. Yes, the Mena house with a view of the pyramids is something we must do. Maybe that part of the trip, I will surprise my husband with for his birthday!

dg Aug 8th, 2000 06:52 PM

March was just perfect!!