Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > When is Mimunah? Nu? Can you help? Israel and Morocco

When is Mimunah? Nu? Can you help? Israel and Morocco

Mar 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

When is Mimunah? Nu? Can you help? Israel and Morocco

I've been searching all over the web trying to find a date for the festival of Mimunah, as I believe that I will be in Morocco at the time (post-Pesach). But can't find a date or a place. Can anyone help?

Thanks

TF
Mar 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Mimounah is traditionally held the night right after Pesach is over and the following day. In Israel, it is a big event. Since the last day of Pesach this year is a Friday it will only be celebrated after Shabbat is over - so after sunset on April 14th and on Sunday April 15. The same dates will apply to the celebration in Morocco - however, I wonder how much of a celebration you will find there as the Jewish community in Morocco is quite small.
Mar 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. It is strange that I couldn't find much of anything about it online under Israel -- much more under Morocco. I won't be anywhere near Casablanca, where most of the Jews live, in fact I will be in a seaside town, but if I find something of interest I might change and go in a different direction, just to experience it.

Many, many thanks for responding!

TF
Mar 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM

But i think they make in Essauira where the most living, must be interesting.I think such festivals has no fix date in Morocco, but could be in Israel.
PT
Mar 10th, 2012, 08:57 PM

Mimouna has a fixed date everywhere in the world - it is the day right after Passover - the dates of Passover are not the same on the Gregorian calendar, but are the exact same dates on the Jewish calendar every single year.
Mar 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Yeah -- like Easter!

And oy! I just realized that I will be leaving the day before. If I knew enough that it would be worth it I would try to change things to stay. But I suspect that I would feel like an outsider... I think I will have to wait and ask around when I arrive.

Oreet -- stay safe.

TF

Search this Thread