Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > What will a lack of rains this year mean to my September South Luangwa safari?

What will a lack of rains this year mean to my September South Luangwa safari?

Jun 6th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

What will a lack of rains this year mean to my September South Luangwa safari?

It is said to be an especially dry year in South Luangwa this year. While this is unfortunate for the wildlife, it is all in nature's due course.

I will be in South Luangwa in early September. Will I get all of the benefits of an October visit (when it is extremely hot) without the extreme heat? Or, because it is a dry year, does this also mean that it will likely get hot sooner than normal?

I think it would be great to get the benefits of an October safari, as far as gameviewing goes, while retaining the more comfortable early September weather. While it will still likely be in the high 80's to low 90's each day in early September, that is better than the high 90's to low 100's that mid-October would bring.

I am most looking forward to the concentration of hippos and crocodiles in the Luangwa River, which should really dry up quicker than normal this year. Also, I suppose that gameviewing will be really unobstructed by vegetation this year since it is dry.

Really just wondering what I may look forward to with my September safari. I am also curious to know if anybody is aware whether or not Lower Zambezi is also dry this year. After 4 nights at Kulefu last June without any success gameviewing, it would be a real treat for my 6 nights split between Kasaka and Chongwe River Lodge if there was excellent gameviewing. I will be sure to bring my dog whistle so the wild dogs appear at my command!

Bottom line, I am hoping for October gameviewing with September weather.
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Roccco,

The vegetation should have dried out for sure. Compared to wehn you have been in June, the anumals will be far more concentrated, even more so if the dry spell is true, around perenial water holes. There could lots of agression between animals and lots of sightings with in a short space of each other. I never forget seeing elephants driving off a small coalition of buffalo whilst in Botswana. Orfor the last bit of water
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:04 AM

How humid will it be end of September/October?
Jun 8th, 2005, 06:54 PM

There should be plenty of water in the zambezi because of the hydoelectric operations at Kariba. Should be excellent game viewing too. Be happy you aren't there during the suicide month. Nothing like trying to sleep in a pool of sweat. Each day/nite getting hotter and more humid.

Search this Thread