What to wear at the Palms

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear at the Palms

We are ending our tanzania trip in Feb in Zanzibar. We will be staying at the Palms. Doesn't look like a place Safari clothes would fit in. Anyone been there ad how did you handle additional clothing with the baggage restrictions. janet
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 02:03 PM

A pair of black or brown slacks with nice sweater, shawl or great scarf, a piece of costume jewelry. Or use a kikoy (pareo) as skirt wrap-around with great top (can be a ballet-type t-shirt). A kikoy can also serve as a shawl. They are available, in great colors, everywhere, in Tanzania/Zanzibar - cost is between $10-$20, depending on where purchased. They come in two sizes, so open before buying to make certain which works best for you. The kikoy is also a lovely gift/souvenir.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

tks Sandi.I asume keep the shoulders covered. we will be there 3 nights. Janet
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM

It'll be hot and humid on ZNZ in Feb. You probably won't want to be wearing much clothing, but mossies tend to be more active here, so do apply repellent to exposed skin. The shawl mostly for the a/c inside your room or public space; beside being a lovely piece of clothing.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM

We found that at the hotel in Zanzibar (we stayed at the Ocean Paradise), it was perfectly OK to wear "normal" beach hotel attire, ie in the evening, sleeveless tops, or dresses. Certainly none of the guests were "covered" up.
As for mozzies, we used repellent every evening, but actually I don't think we got bitten even once! So saying, it is probably an excellent idea to have a shawl handy just in case! Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

MY reason for the question about bare sholders was not wanting to offend anyone. Was not sure of Muslin reaction. I guess while I am at it In feb. does it cool down in the evening?
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

MY reason for the question about bare shoulders was not wanting to offend anyone. Was not sure of Muslin reaction. I guess while I am at it In feb. does it cool down in the evening?
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM

You are right in understanding the culture of the community. And this is true if walking about in Stone Town, Here it is hightly recommended to stick to conservative attire... no shorts, exposed bellies or shoulders. Slacks or skirt with tops that covers the upper arm are appropriate. Even though it's hot, surprisingly, it's more comfortable with loose fitting clothing that covers the skin. Remember, you're on the Equator and the sun is very strong... remember the SPF.

On the beach, however, that is not the case. You will find the same kind of attire as at a resort most anywhere else. Shorts, tank tops, bikinis... you name it. Basically, the only "no-no" is topless or clothing "optional"
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM
aby

Janet
in addition to kikoi, check also kanga for wrap around / cover.
aby