What to wear

Feb 19th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

What to wear

We will be spending 2 weeks in Egypt in May of 2005. I know we need to dress conservative and respectful. However, I also realize it is going to be hot - what is appropriate attire for tourists, especially women?
Feb 19th, 2005, 12:11 PM
sandi

When on your cruise boat (assume you will be taking a cruise) many people wear shorts (knee length) and tank tops, even swimsuits (and bikinis) on the boat. Likewise while visiting Valley of the Kings, Temples of Karnak & Luxor in Luxor, in Abu Simbel, Temple of Philae and even stops along the cruise - knee length shorts are okay, but you should have on t-shirts or camp-type shirts. Though we found crop or capri pants worked better and were just as comfortable. Evenings along the Nile get quite chilly so a lt.weight blazer, jacket, shawl, sweater are good ideas to have.

While in Cairo, or walking the streets in Luxor or Aswan it's best to wear capri or long pants, even skirts at least knee length - also arms covered (no halters, sleevless, tank tops). Sure it's hot, but it's dry heat - your bus, car and cruise boat and hotels will all be air conditioned.

Feb 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM
kp

You can check the oattravel.com for their "what to wear" packing list. They also have other very helpful information.
We're also going in May. I'm going to try some of the tropical weight clothing from Travel Smith. This week I ordered one pair of pants just to see what they're like. We've vacationed in other hot climates and I usually end up buying cooler clothing once I'm there. However; I'm usually not happy with my purchases and never wear them again.
Feb 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Egypt is a Muslim country, so respect must be given to this with your attire and attitude, particularly when visiting temples and other religious monuments. It is asked that ladies avoid 'clingy, tight, suggestive' attire, and stick with cool flowing cottons in busy city areas i.e. longer sleeved shirts and pants. Beach attire is fine onboard the felucca cruise and at beach resorts. Shorts are rarely seen in cities; in fact Egyptian men choose to wear long pants.
Ex-military style clothing should not be worn. Egypt is a country of certain weather extremes, so pack accordingly. Beach attire is fine, onboard the felucca cruise and at beach resorts. Shorts are rarely seen in cities; in fact Egyptian men choose to wear long pants. Ex-military style clothing should not be worn.
This list is intended as a rough guide: -
2 sets of comfortable travelling clothes 1 pair of shorts
1 set of smarter clothes, 1 jacket/long-sleeved top
1 pair of sandals/thongs, 1 pair sneakers
1-2 long-sleeved shirts socks/undergarments
Bathers/cosies/swimsuit Umbrella [if it should rain!]
For convenience and ease of portability, it is often easiest to use a frameless backpack or roll bag, in preference to a suitcase. Sand can find its way into the most amazing places in one's luggage, so it's a good idea to places articles such as camera's and Walkman's in a plastic bag, when not in use.
During the day it is useful to carry a small daypack, where you can keep your camera, water, snacks, sun-cream etc.

William

Search this Thread