Search

What to Wear?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:38 AM
Theresa

What to Wear?

I am looking for info on what is the appropriate type of clothing for a western woman in Egypt. We are going to Cairo few a few days and then on a Nile cruise, and I want to dress appropriately. Jeans? Shorts? <BR>Shirts? Help! <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:00 AM
Ursula

Theresa: <BR> <BR>Jeans: far too hot! Take loose cotton or linen pants or long light skirts. <BR>Shorts: not in Cairo, on the boat, yes! <BR>Shirts: Don't go sleeveless in Cairo. You won't be hotter in light cotton items with short sleeves. <BR> <BR>The more appropriate you, the less problems you will have. <BR>I have not been to Cairo, but to a lot of other North African countries and I guess they must all be to a certain point the same. Remember, you will be visiting a Muslim country. <BR> <BR>Enjoy trip and cruise!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:10 AM
Ursula

Theresa: <BR> <BR>I meant to write: "The more appropriate you dress, ... <BR> <BR>PS: I topped two thread that might be useful for you.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:05 AM
Myriam

Theresa, <BR>(Longer) shorts will do fine during your cruise, even during the visits at the archeological sites and in Luxor/Aswan. The Egyptians are in the meantime used to Western habits. In our hotel at the Red Sea we have even seen topless sunbathers both at the beach and at the poolside. But being a guest in a muslim country we ourselves always try to be respectful and not to offend anyone. <BR>Can't speak for Cairo, haven't been there yet.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:38 AM
gail

In Egypt in April. Felt most comfortable in loose, cotton pants or capri pants with cotton top - short sleeves. We always dressed up a little more for dinner on the Nile cruise - a simple skirt or cotton dress. Egyptian men dress far more formally than in US - all seemed to wear at least shirts with collars and often suit jackets, despite the heat. Men also need to wear long pants - shorts are considered the equivalent of wearing underwear in public. Although I brought head coverings (skarf, etc.), never felt need for it, even if mosque and Coptic Christian church in Cairo (saw that Egyptian women did not cover their heads, so I did not). Guide books speak to what you can "get away with" in the way of dress, but why be offensive. Found above clothing kept me both comfortable in sun, appropriately "covered up" and packed well. Have a great trip.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:58 PM
LEANNA

Theresa...this advice is all on the nose!!!!! So correct and right! What I wish I had taken....was a white long sleeve shirt for Valley of the K/Q and an umbrella. I did take a hat but I think the umbrella would have given me shade and been cooler. The local women use umbrellas..and I think they must know best! Think gauze and linen! Linen is super because its not transparent so you can do w/ less layers! Buy a galabeeya and wear it!!! I did.....and it was super! BTW..I did the cruise and was in Cairo and Alexandria.....just last May. So this is my penny of thoughts!