What to See and Do in Cape Town, South Africa

Dec 7th, 2000, 05:35 PM
Erich Pokorny

What to See and Do in Cape Town, South Africa

I am planning a visit (first time) to Cape Town in April or May 2001. Can someone please give me recommendations on what to see and do while I am there? I only have about 8-10 days, so I want to make the most of my time. I am quite interested in wine making and would appreciate the names and locations of some of the top wineries in the region. Are there particular towns outside of Cape Town that would be nice to visit?

I would very much appreciate your input. If I can reciprocate with travel information on San Francisco, California, please let me know.

Thank you,
Erich

Dec 7th, 2000, 07:30 PM
Sabrina

Cape Town is sooo beautiful, you will have a wonderful time there. Here's a brief itinerary for you. I did all of these things when I was there and I was wishing I had more time:

1) First and foremost you must take the ferry to Robben Island. It is where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned and the tour is just incredible.

2) The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Lots of nice shops and restaurants there.

3)I found the Cape Town city tour to be excellent. The city is just so beautiful and steeped in history. It will hold your interest.

4)If you like crafts and such, Greenmarket Square is a must. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Greenmarket Square and I loved being in the center of that wonderful market. There are some great little restaurants in that area as well.

5) Table Mountain. There's nothing like the tram ride to the top of Table Mountain. So very beautiful. You can rappel off the mountain too. Very cool.

6) Day trip to a vineyard. I went to Stellenbosch and greatly enjoyed it.

7) Eat at a game food restaurant. I went to a place called Marco's African palace and had Springbok, mapone worms and all other manner of South African food I never would eat in the states!

8) The beach! I hung out at Camp's Bay beach and drove all around the Hout Bay area. Again, you will be swept away by the beauty.

9) Day trip to Cape Point. Nothing like seeing the "tip" of the Earth, where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet.

That's just a taste of what I did. There's tons more to do in CT, those were just some of the highlights for me. Have a fabulous trip!

Search this Thread