Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   What to see & do in 2 days in Tel Aviv (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/what-to-see-and-do-in-2-days-in-tel-aviv-471515/)

hotcin99 Sep 1st, 2004 12:59 PM

What to see & do in 2 days in Tel Aviv

I will be in Tel Aviv for 2 days next month. Any suggestions on what I should and could do in those 2 days? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also any hints on hotels would be great as well. Thanks.

sandi Sep 1st, 2004 01:46 PM

There have been some recent posts re Israel. Do a "search" on this board in the box on top of page. Enter "Israel" then "find" on the right. The threads will appear on the right. Some of the threads have a website listed with info on Israel that you might find of interest.

Personally, I prefer JER over TLV which is a modern city and we never stayed more then a day. JER on the otherhand is just loaded with history. Wherever you walk, someone else walked. There are more then seven layers of history built one over the other. Even the Via Delarosa isn't actually today where it was 2,000 years ago. Regardless your religious persuasion, it's an absolutely amazing place. I would suggest you pick up a guidebook on Israel (many also have info on Egypt) or stop in your local library if you don't want to purchase a book.

What I would highly recommend as soon as you arrive is check with your hotel front desk or concierge, everything about safety - where to go, not go, what to do, not do, should you or not take buses and which - believe the intercity are safer, but I'd go with a sherut - fixed rate shared taxi. The drive between TLV and JER by sherut is about 45-minutes, depending on how crazy your Israeli driver is.

There are some tours you can pick-up for a moderate fee, or you can simply get a map and have an adventure on your own. Do remember, though that there are some areas (Meir Shearim)in JER that are very religious so you should be modestly dressed if walking around there. Don't know if you are male or female - this is of utmost importance for females. No shorts, halter/backless tops. Wears slacks, long skirt, shirt with sleeves; men should also have their arms covered and no shorts. Other then these areas, comfortable clothing and good walking shoes, well broken in.

You'll have to find those things that are of particular interest to you. And you'll, no doubt, have to arrange for another trip to get it all in. There's never enough time to discover everything, even in this very tiny country.

Enjoy your holiday and when you return give us a trip report on both Egypt and Israel.

Gardyloo Sep 1st, 2004 02:26 PM

In your other post you state that you'll be in Tel Aviv for two days and Jerusalem for one. Still the case?

Tel Aviv is big, dirty, secular, full of life, a major high. Beaches, cafes, the old port of Jaffa, walks, plenty to see.

Take a day bus tour of Jerusalem - easily arranged by your hotel. (It's an hour from TA.) Jerusalem is like nowhere else. It's really three cities - the Old City, where the great religions jockey for position, where it feels like what it is - 3000 years of constant occupancy; the new (western) city - center of the Israeli state - great museums, the Holocaust memorial (Yad Vashem) - beautiful neighborhoods built of golden stone (It's called Jerusalem of Gold and you'll see why.) And the third city, East Jerusalem, center of Palestinian identity, home to great Islamic sites, the eye of the storm, the Mount of Olives looking down on it.

There's really no preparing yourself adequately for Jerusalem IMO; just read a little bible or biblical history, a little western civ. history (Crusaders, the Turks, the British mandate, partition, wars of independence and survival....) then let yourself get caught up in the place.

Hotels in Tel Aviv tend to pricey. The nicest ones are on the beach, and for just a couple of nights you might want to splurge at one of them - we like the Yamit Park Plaza the most, for value/$, but shop around. Lots of visitors in October because the weather's improving from summer heat, so be prepared for sticker shock. Fortunately, other costs are much more affordable.

Mamamia Sep 1st, 2004 02:41 PM

Yes, there is just no comparison between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, when you regard them as a tourist!

Jerusalem is one of the most exciting places on earth. Tel Aviv? Just another Mediterranean city.

Gardyloo Sep 1st, 2004 02:56 PM

Well I don't know. Tel Aviv was named a UN World Heritage Site last year, owing to the richness of its 20th Century architectural heritage (the "White City" - best surviving example of the Bauhaus school). "Just another Mediterranean City" includes what, Barcelona? Naples? Plenty of history there too...

eri Sep 5th, 2004 11:36 PM

I live near Tel Aviv and recently had very good experience with guests from abroad staying in Hotel de la Mer.Their rates are more than reasonable. My friends loved the location and the atmosphere of the hotel. This is the hotel's site:
http://www.inisrael.com/delamer/

Mamamia Sep 6th, 2004 01:52 PM

Eri,

This hotel looks quite good. The only issue is NOISE. Hayarkon st. is a busy street, until late night. If you stay in one of those large hotels on Hayarkon st., at the 13th floor, for instance, you won't be exposed to the street noise. This hotel is a small one, with no more than 3-4 floors, probably...

If used to city noise, absolutely go for it. Otherwise...

eri Sep 6th, 2004 09:47 PM

True. But my friends had no complaints concerning noise. The hotel is actually south of all the big hotels. But since I have no connection whatsoever neither with this hotel nor with the tourism industry, I can only repeat what they told me. They were really happy there and called it a gem.

Elissadny Oct 11th, 2004 06:15 AM

I go to Israel often. If it isn't too late for you, what are your specific interests, so I can tailor my response to your needs. Ancient or modern history? Culture? Nightlife? Watersports?
The previous writers were right on about Jerusalem being much more visit-worthy, but TLV does offer old Jaffa, the Museum of the Diaspora, Eretz Yisrael Museum, and better restaurants than Jerusalem.

Weezie Jun 27th, 2005 11:53 AM

I will be in Tel Aviv for 2 days as well(Sunday and Monday) in July while my spouse is in meetings and we'll be staying at the Dan Hotel. It will be the tail end of a week long trip having visited many areas in Israel including Jerusalem, so I am not interested in any more day trips.
I know the beaches are great at Tel Aviv, as is the high end shopping, but I am looking for something else. I like outdoor markets that sell unusual jewelry or art, interesting places of worship, artsy communities. My sense is that this just is not Tel Aviv, or is it? If I need to readjust my expectations, what should be tops on the list for a single female tourist? I have done the search threads and have read much of it but everytime someone starts asking about Tel Aviv the responders shift the focus onto Jerusalem. I'd appreciate any help.

Mamamia Jun 27th, 2005 05:57 PM

Weezie,

Try to be in TLV on a FRIDAY. Friday in Israel is the day off (before the Sabbath), and the city is crowded and vivid. The pedetrain mall in Nachlat Benyamin on Friday is just great. Lots of art, jewelry, folklore, young people, and the prices are really good.

Shenkin street nearby is great for boutique shopping (every day).

Also, the adjacent Carmel Market (shook) is a great, colorful experinece, and opened every day (except on Saturday, of course).

Weezie Jun 29th, 2005 08:05 AM

Hey thanks Mamamia. I wish we could be there on Friday, but it just won't work. I've checked out the market at Nachlat Benyamin and I was hoping someone would say it was also open on Sun or Mon. But I appreciate the other suggestions.

Mommar Jul 20th, 2005 06:01 PM

Why not explore the art galleries? I purchased a nice painting from the King David Gallery in Tel Aviv, but also enjoyed the 20 or so galleries in the immediate area. There was also an amazing Art Deco antiques shop where really fine items were for sale. Wish I'd had that extra $1400 for the bronze/marble Art Deco sculpture I fell in love with. Alas! It was not to be.

Lindy Aug 24th, 2005 11:32 AM

Museum of the Diaspora.

Weezie Aug 28th, 2005 07:12 PM

Well, I went and am back. I ended up spending most of my time while in Tel Aviv in Jaffa and it was a great experience. First of all I walked along the beach from Tel Aviv. It was beautiful in the morning but in the afternoon there was a distinct smell of sewer spill, which was a bummer. But Jaffa was, to me, magical. In the old section I loved all the artists stores, with their beautiful horoscope clay fired street numbers, and went in and talked with whomever I could. I was there in July so it was hot as hell but very interesting. At the clock tower there was an archeological dig, I believe right in the middle of the street! Adjacent to that was a small gyro shop which was heavenly. I also stopped in the outdoor markets taking my time to look at everything. If you find yourself in Tel Aviv, check out Jaffa.