What to pack for Zambia in Nov.?

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to pack for Zambia in Nov.?

My husband and I are going to fly to Lusaka to visit his brother and family next month! I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. This will be my very first time traveling so far. I have several questions.... Thanks!
-What kinds of clothes should I pack?
-We were both prescribed Lariam from our Doctors. Have you taken it? I'm a little scared to take it because of all the side effects?
-Did you take a mosquito net?
-What restaurants in Lusaka did you eat at?
-Are tennis shoes fine or what type of shoes should I take?
-What brand of repellent did you take?I know it has to have Deet. Do I use it during the day and night?
-What other first aid/medications should I take?
-Other things I should pack? Ideas on what to look forward to?
We will be flying to London, then to Lusaka.
On the way back we will spend one night in London. What is a good hotel there?
Thanks so much! We leave Nov. 17th!!!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:02 AM

You'll hear some scarey things about Lariam/Larium, and most of them are probably true. All such medications can produce side-effects, but Lariam has the worst reputation among the most effective anti-malarials. Only a tiny minority of people are affected adversely, though. Even the manufacturers of the best and latest alternative, Malarone, say it is not for everybody.

I've been using Lariam for 9 years without the slightest hint of side-effects, my wife for 5 years ditto, and other people on this forum are equally happy with it. But the sensible thing with any anti-malarial is to start taking it early enough so that if there are ill-effects, you have time to go back to your doctor and get an alternative. I always get enough Lariam tabs to start taking them at least two weeks before departure (longer than usually recommended). They are weekly rather than daily doses, so that's no hardship. You've got your prescriptions early enough to do this. Don't be alarmed by the stories you may hear. I will not change my choice, because it works for me and I'm not one for stepping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM

mnak,

You are talking about a (modern) major city (the capital of Zambia) that has a population of 2 million+.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother taking Larium if you only plan on being in Lusaka.

As for restaurants, my wife and I enjoyed a nice dinner at a place recommended by our jeweler, called "Marlin's" which is not far from the Lusaka Inter-Continental Hotel.

Just dress as you normally would, adjusting for somewhat warm temperatures that may occur in November.

Will you at least have time to enjoy a couple nights on safari? You would be able to get to Lower Zambezi or South Luangwa fairly easily from Lusaka and in November you would be able to enjoy low season rates. Given that your brother-in-law is Zambian you may even qualify for local rates. It would be a shame to come to Zambia and miss out on at least a short safari.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Rocco--What is the name of the jewlery store you went to with your wife. I would like to get a ring too!

We do hope we get to go to the Victoria Falls and on a nice safari! I'm very excited. My husband is from India, but grew up in Africa. This will be the first time after many years that he will be in Zambia. We are so excited!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:51 AM

mnak,

Here is the website for the jeweler:

http://www.gemstonesafrica.com/

You are going to want to deal with Rashmi and you will find her e-mail address on the website. She and her brother Raj own the company, as well as their own mine where many of the jewels come from. Talk about cutting out the middle man!

Rashmi is a pleasure to do business with and she really knows her stuff, earning a graduate degree in Gemmology from the UK. She will be in the USA at a few shows early next month in case anyone is interested, on both the East Coast and West Coast.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Rocco- What type of food does Marlin's Restaurant have?

Also did you take traveler's checks or cash when you went on your trip?
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:40 PM

mnak,

Marlin's is primarily a steakhouse, although they also served seafood. The steaks were great and they did have a very nice winelist.

Because the wine is imported from South Africa, a nice bottle of wine was actually more expensive than two very good steaks. Even so, however, for 2 steak dinners and a bottle of wine was under $60 USD and was on par with a $100+ dinner in the U.S.

As far as cash vs. cashiers checks, cash is always king. In Zambia you don't even need to convert to Kwacha's. Your dollars, euros or pounds will do just fine.