What to do with valuables while on game drives?

Aug 26th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

What to do with valuables while on game drives?

Just about every subject has been covered here but this one. What do you do with your valuables, such as passport, credit cards, airline tickets, cash etc while going on the game drives? Do you take these things with you or do you leave them in the room locked?
I have been advised not to leave anything at all of value in the room, but it seems to be a pain to have to carry this stuff around all the time. What do you folks recommend?
Aug 26th, 2005, 04:28 AM

Hello,

You can lock them in the main safe at reception (not the one in your room). That's what I usually do.

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 26th, 2005, 04:30 AM

Depends where we're at - at Wilderness Safari camps we sometimes leave them in our LOCKED main luggage in the tent. Whilst theft does occur in WS camps I believe that it's generally restricted to items left lying around in the open and that staff would not risk their jobs by breaking into locked luggage.

If we're out on the road on a self-drive safari or staying somewhere a bit larger and less remote that stuff comes along with us in the hand luggage bag.
Aug 26th, 2005, 04:46 AM
sandi

During the day - camera, money, credit cards and tickets all come with me in my backpack. In the evenings, I usually leave the camera behind in a piece of locked luggage; the other - money, credit cards, tickets come with me. When staying at lodges, we've often used the safe deposit boxes at the Registration desk - rarely, if ever, leave anything in room safes.

So far, so good - nothing missing!

Aug 26th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

I will be staying at all Wilderness Safari camps and I guess I'll just lock the items in one of the bags.
So many things to think about - I lie in bed at night trying to think everything through. But this is part of planning a trip!!!
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Maybe this is a silly question - but does it do any good to lock a soft-sided bag? Seems like a theif could just slice the bag open???
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:18 AM

If you are staying in a camp which requires a light air transfer, you'll only have soft-sided bags as hard-sided ones are not allowed.

While it is true that it is possible for a thief to slash a bag open, if the thief is that determined they could also use wire cutters on your luggage locks. Theft is 90% opportunity -- locking a bag is certainly safer than leaving your stuff in the open. Cash is particularly tempting.

This is why I leave my valuables in the main camp safe.

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM

The Wilderness Safari camps we stayed at in Botswana had a mini-safe in the tents. We couldn't get the one at Little Vumbura to work, but did not really worry about it. So anyway, leave your passports and credit cards, plane tickets and cash in the room safe, or locked luggage and you should be fine. The camps are very small and intimate, and you really don't think about anyone stealing anything while you are there, although obviously don't leave cash out in the open. I guess anything is possible, but I cannot imagine a camp worker slashing open a bag. I do not believe the tented accomodations have lockable doors. I certainly would not stay awake nights worrying about it as far as the small Wilderness camps go.
I have no idea about the larger properties in Kenya and Tanzania, may be more of a problem there.
Hope you have a great trip.
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:10 PM
bwanamitch

Lolo12,

You should also have a look at the 'Theft and Security on Safari' thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34651538

Mitch

Aug 29th, 2005, 02:14 AM

Dlemma

In my opinion, yes it is worthwhile locking a soft-sided bag - whilst a thief could slice it open - the visitor will certainly notice, do an immediate inventory of their belongings and report the theft to management who will likely instigate a search until the stolen items are found.

The camps I'm talking about are remote enough that it's not likely that someone who wasn't based there would make his/ her way there to steal and back out again.

Theft in such camps is often a case of temptation/ ease rather than concerted effort.

If there is a really determined thief they will be able to take what they want. That's why I have trip insurance.

Some camps provide small room safes but these are only large enough for wallets/ passports. And we've arrived at a camp more than once to find the previous guest has left their items behind - we've passed them to management who have then had the nightmare of trying to get them on the next flight out and see if they can be reunited with that guest.

Search this Thread