Search

What to do in Aswan?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Aswan?

We will be getting in to Aswan on the Nile Cruise,disembarking after breakfast, I guess. We will have done the felucca sail, and visited the high dam, the Temple of Philae and the unfinished obelisk the day before.
For budget reasons we will take the overnight sleeper to Cairo that evening, but that gives us a day to fill. Should we fly up to Abu Simbel - $131 R/T? Is it really worth it? Or is there some cool stuff to do in Aswan? We will be schlepping our bags around, too, unless there are lockers in the train station.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

and, if we do go to Abu Simbel, does anyone have any recommendations for guides there? or do we need one?
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 01:43 AM

Abu Simbel is an amazing place just for the fact of its re-location from its original site. You can do without a guide, most tour groups are given a 15-20 minute talk at the beginning of their visit then are left to wander around themselves. Just stand near a tour group with a guide and listen in. It is a very busy site and the touts at the exit point are the worst we came across merely for the fact you must walk the gaunlet of them for about 250 meters to get back to the bus point. We did the 6 hour return convoy...if you go...FLY!!!
Most of the larger hotels have their rooms available for day use so another option is to book a day use room leave your bags, go for a wander around Aswan or have a nap before the sleeper train. You wont get much sleep on the train...they are pretty rough and noisy.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 02:22 AM

If you are only going to Aswan once in your life you must go to Abu Simbel no matter what the cost is and please again no matter what the cost consider flying.The convoy takes way too long. Most of the airplane passengers will be with an official guide so just follow the herd as most flying from Aswan to Abu Simbel will be fellow tourists. My wife and I did this over 8 years ago (so yes things may have changed) however it was not too hard, we just asked when we needed help and the vists was wonderful. You may need to book ahead to get a flight but it will be worth it. Just do it.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:06 AM

After you've walked the gaunlet of touts and enter the site, you will find guides, which you can select yourself for your family alone. They'll go as fast or slow as you wish. There is no fee, but a gratuity at the conclusion. Besides seeing the two temples and amazing view, be sure to see the underground workings of the mountain on which they moved the temples. It's fascinating and cool inside. Do fly and at that price, is worth it.

Returning to Aswan about 12N-1pm, the Souk is interesting and not as much pressure to buy as other places; great for last minute souvenirs. Also, there is a relatively new (within past 8/yrs) museum (can't recall the name)open-air about the culture and people who lived/live in the area. Because of the heat here, it's usually closed mid-day, but opens at about 4-5pm... you'll have to check.

If you are disembarking your Nile Cruise to have the day to yourself, check when your boat departs... probably not till night. You maybe able to leave your bags on board in the reception area to retrieve late afternoon before heading to the station for train to CAI (be sure you arrange a transfer from boat to station and time they'll pick-up).

We concluded after breakfast, left our bags, went into Luxor (we had cruised in opposite direction), returned for lunch (paid directly) enjoyed the top deck/pool, changed back into regular clothing in bathroom, then collected our bags and headed to the airport... ship's staff was most accommodating.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

very helpful, thanks all!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM

if you've time go to the terrace restaurant in the Old Cataract Hotel and have gin and tonics and watch the sunset. It's one of my all time great memories.

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

yes, I've heard that the Old Cataract is great - will have to study my Agatha Christie before going, I think.

Unfortunately, all the flights are full!!! :'( so we are waitlisted. I hope there are some cancellations, I'm not sure I'm in the mood for the convoy. Is it (the convoy) really worth it? And, how do we get reservations?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM

Please go, I must say Abu Simbel was the highlight when we visited Egypt many years ago.

We actually went with a cab, it took forever, but was great, great fun to hear the cabdriver tell us all about daily life in Egypt. But if you have the chance to fly I would´nt hesitate to do so.

A little outdated and perhaps a little bit to scientific, but still interesting book about Abu Simbel if you want some extra info on the UN rescue:

Temples and Tombs of Ancient Nubia: The International Rescue Campaign at Abu Simbel, Philae and Other Sites (ISBN: 0500013926)
Save-Soderbergh, Torgny

Have a good time!

best regards,
Tom
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Definitely fly to Abu Simbel -- very, very well worth it. No guides are allowed inside, that is why they give their information outside the temples.

My friends, my husband and I, took the sleeper train last November and slept like babies; we were in the two-bunk cabins and could stretch out. Many of the people (some with tour groups which surprised me) were in the sitting cars and had a rough night without much sleep.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

we are waitlisted on the flight - aaakk! I hate that!

Any info on how to book the bus/convoy? All my researches tell me that Abu Simbel is not to be missed, no matter how you get there.