Search

Aardvark sightings at Linyanti Bush Camp

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aardvark sightings at Linyanti Bush Camp

Hello,

Since Chris from Expert Africa is now a forum member, I wanted to put forward a question to him or anyone else on this forum RE LBC.

I heard that Aardvark sightings there are pretty reliable? Is this true?

Thanks
Hari
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM

Hi Hari –

Thanks for the kind direction of the question – I’ll help if I can.

The most reliable record that I have for sightings in Africa these days are the reviews that Expert Africa’s travellers leave on our website. They are more comprehensive than any records that I can make. (Just to be clear here - all come from travellers which our company has sent. Since we started the feedback system in 2007, all the comments that we have received from our travellers on Botswana have been published, provided that the traveller has not refused us permission to publish them. None have been edited.)

We’ve currently got 22 reviews from travellers on our site for Linyanti Bush Camp – starting here: http://www.expertafrica.com/lodge/Li.../review?page=1
Of these, Mr & Mrs W from Wiltshire had a sighting around 9 Oct 2009; Mr & Mrs B - Wiltshire had a sighting around 4 July 2008; and Mrs R - Sandy had a sighting around Sept 2007.

Three sightings out of 22 visits with feedback (each visit typically lasts about 3 days) is about a 1 in 22 chance of seeing an aardvark on any given day. We don’t know if the 19 other parties of visitors who gave us feedback saw an aardvark or not; we just know that they didn’t mention seeing one in their comments to us!

Given the years that I’ve spent on safari and NEVER seen an aardvark – I’d say this was pretty exceptional record.

In passing, I’d also comment that I’ve heard that Samara Game Reserve, in South Africa, has a good sighting rate also. I don’t yet have any evidence to back up, or disprove, this assertion!

I’ve no idea why these places seem to be better than any others for aardvark sightings – but would welcome the insight of anyone who has a theory which can explain these observations.

Chris McIntyre -
Author: Bradt guidebooks to Botswana, Zambia, Namibia & Zanzibar
MD: Expert Africa (offices in London & New Zealand)
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your detailed response - very appreciative. I've actually met in person at Lagoon camp (Oct,09) the couple you referred to above, who saw the Aardvark at LBC and they really were over the moon. Hence, my question to you as to if the sightings were more the norm or more luck.........

Aardvark has eluded me too so far.

Regards
Hari
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM
cw

I'm quite sure Hari was the 5% of "fellow guests" that WERE involved in their game sightings!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi Chris,

Yes. I remember that Pangolin episode of theirs. Apparently, they found a pangolin not far from camp and the other guests were not interested in coming back out to see it. Oh well......
I only got to Lagoon the next day or so - but, heard this story from your guests.

Hari