What to combine with Pyramids..Coptic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I have one whole day reserved for the Pyramids, that would include going to Dahshur and surrounding area. But just wondering if I wanted to do half day of Pyramids and one other site, what is closest? I see Coptic seems to be close. I will be staying at Mena House the first two nights, so do not need to go into town the first day.

It is hard to judge distances on the maps, plus factoring in all the traffic patterns.

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM

Can you give us an idea of your Cairo itinerary? How many days are you in Cairo? What else do you have planned to see?

From the tours (personal and school) I have been on, usually Coptic Cairo is combined with a tour of a couple of mosques (usually Sultan Hassan and Al Hussein).

Of course, there are lots of options, just depending on time and interest.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:59 PM

Coptic Cairo is not particularly close to the Pyramids. I suggest a day of Sakkara, Dashure and Giza so you can see the pyramids in chronological order how they were built and the mistakes they made that they learned from.
You can add Memphis in too, but don't expect much. It is no more today than an outdoor museum. What, if any, is left of the original capitol is under a village and rubbish in the village.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I only have two and a half days in Cairo. I actually think I am probably in the camp that will love Cairo. I am sure I could spend a week or more and still find it fascinating. The fact that there is so much to see is boggling, so I have to resign myself to see the highlights. So now, I have a day at the Pyramids, Sakkara, Dashure. Then a day to do Egyptian museum, Islamic and Coptic and other things in the area.

I will love the history, culture and learning about the religion.

I have an afternoon free which I am trying to decide what to do.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 08:57 AM

The one mosque that I really wanted to see in Cairo but didn't get the chance to was Ibn Tulan. By the time I found the place it was closing time. There's an adjacent mosgue next to Ibn that's not indicated in any guide book, so don't make the mistake of going into there instead. The guy in there will talk you out of 45L.E. within 5 minutes ("it's for Allah") eventhough the mosgue is free. I know this from personal experience; Ouch! LOL.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

I am really interested in the Islamic area and the mosques. I have visited Malaysia before, but Egypt will be the most Islamic country I have visited, and that fascinates me. Plus I collect religious art.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Dana, Considering your fascination with Islamic Cairo and that you haven't said it is on your itinerary yet, that free afternoon should be spent at the Khan el Khalili. It is in the heart of Islamic Cairo and surely you want to pick up some souvenirs? If not, just walk through the old 14th century market place and see the old gates, and on the outskirts you will find many mosques and other monuments of the period to view inside and out.
This is a good place to pick up some Islamic "religious art". You might like to see some of the work the Tent Makers do with it. They will take scripture from the Koran (maybe scripture isn't the exact right word, but you know what I mean) and do it in a caligraphy way that makes it look like art. They have some that look like lions, some that look like teapots, horses, and more. It's hard to explain. I wish I could send a picture of what I'm talking about. It might be something you'd like to frame and display though.