Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   WHAT SIZE BAG (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/what-size-bag-699960/)

keah05 Apr 25th, 2007 11:48 AM

WHAT SIZE BAG

What size bag is the norm? I am about to purchase our bags,(we have plenty of suitcases) I shop mainly on the net as we live a good deal from main shopping centres so I don't get to actually see how big or small they look. Is it best to take one large bag between us and a spare for bring backs or a smaller one each?and then have a spare fold up for bring backs. What do the rest of you do? I know this is a very basic question and for europe I would have no problem,at the moment this seems my biggest delimma but no doubt I will be airing others as I progress.
So far I have felt the info and advice of this forum to be invaluable.I am sure as my questions keep coming and your answers following I will get there well equiped and fairly knowledgeable.
Thanks in advance as I know you will come thro, as you always do. I hope one day I will be able to reply instead of just asking.

Michele

Luisah Apr 25th, 2007 12:36 PM

Where are you going?

sandi Apr 25th, 2007 01:34 PM

Check www.ebags.com or www.bagsbuy.com or Google and you'll find plenty of sites for this item. They have soft-sides duffle bags, 30" at less than $40. Just bought one myself (zipper in the other was giving out) for $30. It only weighs 2.5/lbs with "U" opening and a few outside pockets. I usually don't like these pockets (couldn't find one that didn't have any), which I don't use and always lock... don't need anyone being tempted to place contraband inside.

Suggest the two of you each have your own bag, though a good idea to have some of each others items in the others bag... just in case one bag is delayed. Then a folding bag for "stuff" for each of you which can be checked as 2nd piece of luggage on your homebound flight (have luggage tags for these). And then your carryon and camera stuff.

MiniApple Apr 30th, 2007 07:57 PM

Sandi,

What are the Dimensions of the 30" duffel bag that you take with you? I was under the impression that if you are flying on the single engine planes with luggage pods that you were limited in size to something smaller. We were planning on using a 24"x12"x12" duffel thinking that was as large as we could have on the small planes. Is a 30"x14"x14" duffel going to be too big?

Thanks, David

going_2_africa Apr 30th, 2007 08:53 PM

Sandi, is that a rolling duffle you bought? At that weight, I'm doubting it, but had to ask.

Shane

sandi May 1st, 2007 05:37 AM

David & Shane -

Got the bag yesterday and it seems so big, that I know I won't fill it up. Certainly not the outside pockets.

Believe the measuremets are 30x15x14, and no not with wheels or telescopic handle. Once you're in Africa, you never have to lift it and in the States (or from where you're traveling) at the airport the Sky Cap can take it into the terminal for check-in (tip the guy $2-$3/bag), or put it on a cart. And, there are carts at arrival in Africa, when going to find your rep outside Luggage Claim.

This bag is a bit larger than the one I had previously... just a bit, but you forget from year-to-year. And, when folded, it doesn't take up more space than the NYC White Pages phone book. Perfect for a NYC apartment!

The bag Micato ("green monster") provides their clients, w/ wheels and telescopic handles, is 30" and weighs about 7-8/lbs empty.

Though tempted to use one of my "wheeled" bags (weighing about 4-5/lbs), I prefer the soft for Africa, as it gets squished into the small luggage compartment under the plane... no chance of wheels coming off or handles being broken; then you have a bag you can no longer use.

hills27 May 1st, 2007 06:30 PM

Bump

BYoung4u2 May 2nd, 2007 04:05 PM

Am considering taking two bags on trip to Kenya,Tanzania and Rwanda. Will be doing a flying trip through Kenya for 8 days and am wondering if a "large" 13x30x13 duffle bag will be too large to take on the incounty flights or should I consider something like a 12x23x12 size bag? I will also carry a backpack to carry cameras etc. We will have our own vehicle in Tanzania so am not too worried about weight on that leg of the trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob