Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   What should i bring? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/what-should-i-bring-712317/)

studyabroad Jun 11th, 2007 02:49 PM

What should i bring?

In a few months I'm traveling to Israel for a year abroad. I have never been there before and was wondering if anyone had tips on what to bring (other than clothes and such). I know that batteries are expensive there, but I don't know much else. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

Mamamia Jun 11th, 2007 06:47 PM

That's a very broad question...

One thing to remember is that Israeli electricity is, like in Europe, 220V. American is 110V. So you need to purchase a converter, and maybe more than one.

Otherwise, don't bring too many clothes, they are inexpensive in Israel and really gorgeous (my daughters always wait to get there to replenish their wardrobe...).

And try to go on a diet before going there, 'cause you'll gain a lot of weight there, Israeli food is good... Even MacDonalds there is better than ours....

W9London Jun 12th, 2007 09:51 AM

Do you know which part of Israel you'll be staying? Surprisingly (if you're not aware), winter in Jerusalem DOES get quite chilly, you'll need winter sweaters/coats etc.
Aside from that, you can pretty much get everything. The kind of things I may consider bringing are maybe some English books (esp travel guide in English) and whatever food items you may miss?

Mamamia Jun 12th, 2007 04:53 PM

Food items? For a year?

Hey, Israeli chocolate is better than the average American. So is coffee (Starbucks had to close since Israeli chains have better coffee...).

Israeli milk products variety is the largest in the world... Fruits and vegetables are by far better than in the USA (only bananas from South America are better)... Bread and pastries? Much better in Israel.

The only food you can't find in Israel is a THICK JUICY STEAK as we know it in America... Oh well, no country is perfect.

studyabroad Jun 12th, 2007 06:02 PM

Thanks for all the help so far. Its a very organized program. I'll be staying in Tel Aviv, Natanya, and a bunch of other places. They gave us a list of clothes that we should bring, and the food is taken care of. I just wanted to know if there was something you noticed that was hard to get .

eri Jun 12th, 2007 10:20 PM

I have lived many years in the U.S. Everytime when I returned home to Israel I used to stock with things that I could not get in Israel and that I simply thought that I couldn't do without. But things changed. Nowadays, when I visit the U.S. I usually cannot find a thing that I don't have here in the Israeli stores. Most of the things are not much more expensive, sometimes even cheaper. Even batteries went down in price and it won't break your bank account if you will have to purchase them here, in Israel. You will be amazed at the vaiety offered in the modern stores, shopping malls and supermarkets. Even electronics and photograpic equipment are pretty reasonbly priced. My suggestion is that you bring a reasonable amount of cloths, and buu any additional thing you might need here.