what shoes should I take to Egypt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - need some advice - what are good shoes for a guy to take to Egypt. We'll be doing all the usual tour stuff.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:06 AM

Preferably closed and well worn shoes (sneakers, moccasins, etc.) for sightseeing as there is uneven ground, sand and small stones (gravel). Save the flip-flops for your hotel room/cruise cabin, and sandals for evenings on the boat or out for dinner in town.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I took Keen's sandals (toe guard) and flip-flops. My daughter took (beige) tennis shoes and flip flops. Both combinations worked well, but yes, there's lots of sandy places (esp pyramids and temples) where sand or small pebbles get in your shoes, so tennis shoes (or something else closed) are probably better than sandals. I had to take the Keen's off a few times to get rocks out of them. Not a big deal, though. Best advice: go for comfort. It's very casual in Egypt. No chance of blending in with the locals anyway, so white tennis shoes aren't a faux pas. Wear what's comfortable at home. Be prepared to get whatever shoes you bring very dusty - for that reason my daughter's beige shoes were better than white.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM

I (female, age 57) wore beige Skechers that could be washed after the fact. They were perfect, lightweight, flexible and comfortable, but closed. My husband wore sneakers or Keens (closed toe). Kids (all in their 20s) mostly did wear flip-flops, although I thought they were nuts! We didn't eat out fancy, so pretty much wore the same shoes at night as during the day, although I did mostly switch to nicer sandals (not dressy -- Born leather sandals) after sightseeing.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:49 AM

Whatever shoes you decide to bring, take along a plastic bag big enough to fit the shoes in. That way, they won't get the other clothes in your suitcase full of dirt/sand.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions! The plastic bag is a great idea!