What's the shortest safari you can do?

Jan 25th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

What's the shortest safari you can do?

My 15 year old son would love to go on a safari but my 17 year old daughter is a beach freak. Any suggestions as to what we might do to keep them both happy?
Jan 25th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Saadani national park is to my knowledge the only national park in tanzania at the seaside. see www.saadanilodge.com
i have already requested 2006 rates, and it is 250 USD per person per night all inclusive, even one daily activity, for example snorkling and maybe seeing dolphins.... however, i do not know if your daughter is a relax-with-a-book-at-the-beach type or a party-beach type. if the former, this place is ideal, otherwise totally not.. the parc is not that big compared to Tanzania's other famous parcs, but there are also quite a lot of animals (lion, etc) if I'm not mistaken
Jan 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM

malindi beach, with a day trip to Tsavo
Jan 25th, 2006, 12:02 PM

I am not sure which kind of safari you meant and where you will be. I found a great 3-day safari in Selous park, Tanzania - very cheap: only $360 for 3 days, 3 people, including means and game drives, but excluding a boat safari (which is about $20/person extra). Here is their webpage: http://www.afriroots.co.tz/seloustrip.htm.
Hope this helps! Have a great time!
Jan 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM

oops, that is $360 for 2 people, not 3 - sorry!
Jan 25th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Malindi/Watamu for the beach and a few hours away is Tsavo West. There are a few camps accessed from this side. You probably could go for a 2 or 3 day safari here. I went in '96 and had great game viewing. Some fun ellie charges at the vehicle. Tracked a lion that was going after villagers cattle outside the park and did some very unconventional dove hunting for the table. Not my usual photographic safari.
Jan 25th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Oops meant Tsavo East.
Jan 25th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Hello,

Why don't you try South Africa? Durban has nice beaches, and the Phinda reserve a short drive away has excellent game viewing. You could spend a few days at each place, or split up with one parent going on safari with your son and the other going to the beach with your daughter.

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 25th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information, I will look into all of them. My daughter is the sit with a book type and we don't care if we have to fly one day to the beach if that changes anything.
Jan 25th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Look at Satao Camp - you can sit with a book by the waterhole rather than on the beach, and you are only three or so hours from Malindi or Mombassa if the beach rather than the relaxation is the be-all and end-all. Jan Goss recommended this place and you'll find her trip report if you search for Jangoss or look in the trip report index. I have never been there but very much want to. "Nyamera" also covers Tsavo East in her trip report.

You can also use a Malindi or Mombassa based safari company for trips to anywhere by air.. examples are here (I am not recommending the company - although I have incidentally heard nice things about it on this board - it is just an example of what you can do)

http://www.southerncrosssafaris.com/msaair.html

Keep in mind you daughter will probably find being on safari more fun than she thinks - and if you go to one of the bigger lodges/camps the worst case scenario is that she has to sit by the pool with a book all day being waited on hand and foot.

Jan 26th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Hi Flit,
If you do a 50/50 safari/beach trip and start with the safari, your daughter will probably turn into a safari freak and spend the beach time with an animal book. As said, Tsavo East is just a couple of hours from the coast, but as you donít mind flying to the beach you could do the safari anywhere. How many days have you got?

Kimburu, I donít cover Tsavo East in my trip report. I went to Tsavo before discovering Fodorís.
Jan 26th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm thinking once she gets there she will like it but she has to be bribed to get there with the beach. I don't have a set time frame. She graduates mid June so would like to leave maybe around the 14th of June for 10 - 14 days so she will still be able to work some during the summer before leaving for college. Thanks so far for everyone's input.

Search this Thread