Search

What's all this about?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's all this about?

So I've been away from the forum for a little while - I come back and there has been a whole reality show taking place without me. What is all this about people being expelled? Someone please explain.

Thanks,
carol
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Ah, a couple of posters who appear to be fairly low-volume participants (i.e. carpetbaggers) in this forum raised a big stink about the participation of agents and operators around here, and were demanding that people identify themselves as either professionals or tourists.

We've seen that sort of thing before, but they raised enough of a fuss that they went to the fodors editors with their issues, which resulted on the banning of a number of posters (Rocco, Julian, and Eben) for some technical infractions. Those bannings were either rescinded or commuted to short-term suspensions after much hue and cry was raised here. (There was a forum thread that went to 100 posts in around 2 days and was eventually closed by an editor.) A fodor editor posted here and stated that they were working on a revised forum policy for participation by travel professionals.

The whole thing came out of the blue, but things appear to have calmed down and we're back to obsessing over Africa.

For the record, I have maintained my amateur standing, though I am for sale. If anybody wants to give me a free safari or any other loot in exchange for my endorsement, I'm available. Call me.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM
bat

Csuss:

I was out of town when this happened but now I have read the original thread. Frankly, I did not think that the OP's first post was out of line–(ie asking TA's to self-identify). I think it was PB who pointed out that this issue comes up periodically and it is difficult to balance disclosure with Fodor's rules. I raised the disclosure issue about a year or so ago and felt that I got jumped on a bit–some folks read these as a personal attack on some of the long-time contributors who have become TAs whether intended to be or not.

Personally I would prefer that Fodor's permit them to use business emails. Some people have expressed the concern it would mean that they would inundate with posts to get their email addresses out there but IMO they would still be judged on the substance of their content.

I don't think we actually know who complained to the editors–may or may not have been the OP.

Apparently there was a very successful "Free the Africa Forum 3" petition drive, so we will be able to keep receiving Eben, Rocco's, and Julian's info.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

I'm definitely seeing a sitcom coming out of this or at least a made for TV movie. I am going to pitch it to the Travel Channel. Something tells me the Africa Forum 3 might be the next Fab 5 (I am probably the only person on this forum that gets that reference.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM

I'm with you, bat, on the email addresses 100%.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM
bat

lynda:
I guess we should write to the editors--have you done that (other than the reinstatement request)?
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 05:25 PM

No, I didn't yet, I posted what I thought about it under one of the other threads last week, but that was all. I hadn't really thought much about it until last week, but when I did, I thought - well, what would be so bad about allowing us to know who is who on the board and weight our decisions on a full picture?

I'd really rather deal with someone I have come to know, and that knows & loves Africa, rather than someone in an agency down the street who asks me 'and where is Nairobi?'
(really - that happened to me when I was booking our flights last year!)