Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   What photoediting software? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/what-photoediting-software-458104/)

kak113 Dec 7th, 2008 05:05 PM

What photoediting software?

I'm pretty happy with some shots I took at MalaMala with my new 40D but I'd like to understand whether photoshop will make them even better. Here's a few of them:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...p;id=617901270

Will Elements or Premiere do the trick? I also used the software that came with the camera and was fairly pleased with what it can do (but am still learning). Your thoughts as always are appreciated.

cary999 Dec 7th, 2008 06:43 PM

Firstly, even when I go from thumbnail to "full size" it is very difficult to critically see them. They are rather small, and on a white background. A black background is much better. And, I'll assume the original photos are MUCH sharper than they appear in facebook. If they are not, then you have a basic problem that needs correcting. You have obviously cropped them. A lot?? I crop almost all of my photos but if cropped too much they loose detail.

Now, take for example the leopard photo. Besides the problems above :-), it is to high contrast and too color saturated. Did it come out of your 40D that way or have you "worked" on it? If it came out of the 40D looking like that then you need to check those in camera settings "Picture style" and "Custom image parameters" settings.

But sounds like you did use some kind of software to work on them. At least to crop them. If you're working on (post processing) camera images then your PC monitor is critical. Without a good monitor what you see is not what I see. And likely no one else either. Laptop screens are typically very poor for photo editing. Some Mac laptops may be an exception, I don't know.

Also, some of these photo hosting sites (facebook?) do extra "enhancements" to your photos automatically. They seem to think you will like it. So, how do the images on facebook compare to your originals you sent in?

Short answer is, as I see those photos, more photoediting will not help them. We need to back-up and work with the images the step before the camera or you processed them. (And no, I don't mean you have to shoot the photos in RAW. Jpg will do fine).

Hope I haven't been too discouraging. You are obviously interested in improving and this is what I see and recommend. If you'd like to email me the original out of camera image of the afore leopard, I'll see if I have any different/other suggestions.

regards - tom

Jed Dec 8th, 2008 07:17 AM

I use http://picasa.google.com/ for simple editing. Depends on how much you want. ((*))

julia1 Dec 8th, 2008 10:02 AM

Kathleen-- Your photos are lovely - you're right to be pleased. You've captured some very special memories, and captured them well.

For photo editing, Photoshop Elements is a good place to start and may be all you ever need. It has some very useful and powerful tools, including layers, the cost is reasonable, and the learning curve is manageable for most people.

Regarding sharpness: I notice the size of the images on Facebook are very small, the lion cubs are 604x283. Down-sizing this drastically, whether done by you or by Facebook, can cause dramatic loss of sharpness. The images might look much sharper when viewed at full size - the best way to see them as they really are is to print them out at full size on good photo paper with a good photo printer.

Several of your images are noticeably soft, not as sharp as they might be. There are a number of explanations for this, including things that happened in camera during the initial capture, i.e. light conditions during the shoot, camera shake, inaccurate focus, etc. You may be able to improve them using the Unsharp Mask in Elements, but be careful of overdoing it.

sundowner Dec 8th, 2008 06:32 PM

kak113, I love your photo of the two cubs. The light is very nice and both cubs have a catchlight in their eyes. The next one is very cute also. I think with the right software you can fix the lioness, the lion and the leopard. Some of the others are a little soft (not in sharp focus) and may/may not be able to sharpen them. They are still very nice photos and if they were mine from my first trip I would love them very much. :)

I'm pretty sure we talked about editing software on this forum very recently but I couldn't find it. I've used photoshop elements, photoshop cs and I just recently purchased Lightroom. Lightroom is the one for me. I haven't tried the others recommended so I can't comment. Lightroom does let you download a trial copy and use it free for 30 days. It sold itself once I tried it. Very user friendly.

Congratulations on your new camera and your trip to MalaMala! I look forward to seeing more of your images.