what kind of phone

Feb 25th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

what kind of phone

Fodors,
Been reading thru your site for past few days, looking for ideas and recommendations, in anticipation of a trip to Israel for 7 days France for 2, Amsterdam for a day, departing from Orlando, Fl on March 8, 2015
My question is what kind of phone should I bring? I have an android HTC but my phone cant accommodate any sims cards. My current carrier Sprint's fees are outrageous, as much as .50 a minute to talk and to send texts, .35 to receive texts. On fixed income, I really cant afford to go out buy phones for each country, any suggestions on what I can do? I was informed in many areas in Israel there is no Internet, so Wifi calling is pretty much out. I thought about buying one of those Blue phones sold at walmart for like $100, then buy the card when I get over there, but not sure if the card will work in all of Israel, or other countries. You guys seem to have some great recommendations, is there a more economical way to do this? Besides what to do with that phone when I get back? Live in Orlando, Fl, I enjoy talking, especially with a new grand daughter. Look forward to hearing back from you.
JCF
Feb 26th, 2015, 06:23 AM
aby

Hi JCF

I got a 20$ phone in the US (I think it is Blu) and works fine in Israel (take tri-band and use it everywhere incl. Europe)
Israel has Wi-Fi everywhere in any café. in Tel Aviv there's free Wi-Fi even in some parks in city center. same in AP.
Feb 26th, 2015, 10:58 AM

Have no idea where you heard that Israel doesn't have wi-fi in many areas - with that type of misinformation I would wonder about what other tips you have received from that source.

There is free wi-fi in hundreds and hundreds of places around the country - almost every coffee shop will have it available.

You don't need a phone for each country - if you want local calling ability simply get a cheap phone that can take a SIM card - then you need a SIM card for each country - not that expensive.
Mar 2nd, 2015, 02:34 PM

If anything Israel has more and better technology than most countries. Whom do you think developed this stuff?

As Oreet above, buy (believe Amazon has) a cheap phone - Nokia - at about $20 and just get a new SIM card for each country you visit... as soon as in the Arrivals Hall, there's a counter selling these SIMs. Sure you'll have different phone #s each country but you'll be in touch with the outside world.

I'm so glad not to travel without any communications... frees me up from all the nonsense out there.

Search this Thread