What is your favorite thing about Africa?

Aug 20th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

What is your favorite thing about Africa?

I thought this might be an interesting question that could enlighten those of us who haven't been yet

What is your favorite thing about Africa? Is it the animals? Safari experiences? People? Unique lodging opportunities? Diverse landscapes? Vastness of the country?

I would be happy to hear anwers regarding any of the countries in Africa, as well as South Africa.

I am planning my trip for next May/June. I believe it is the trip of a lifetime for many people. That made me wonder what aspects are the most magical for those who have already been.

Thanks
Aug 20th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Landscapes, wildlife, people. Not necessarily in that order.

What I don't like? How long it takes to get there.

Wishing you an amazing journey,
Leely
Aug 20th, 2005, 06:46 PM

It would be easy to fill an entire page with my Africa favorites : ) I've travelled in May/June and love that time for the weather in South Africa and Botswana...clear, warm days and cool nights...just perfect. Horseback safari in Botswana is my absolute favorite, because of the total immersion it provides. Of course, most travellers are drawn by the wild game. It certainly is the only place on earth with such prolific gameviewing and the animals allow you to get close enough to smell a lion's breath or hear an elephant's low rumble. It's beyond amazing, really. I've found the African people warm, open and friendly, as well. And, finally, safari removes you from all the trappings of civilization...news, TV, cell phones, e-mail, etc... Africa is as close to heaven as I've been here on earth.
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:00 AM

For me it's definitely the safari experience: huge tracts of wild and remote landscapes where the wildlife is more prolific than the presence of humanity.

I love seeing animals and birds (and even insects) in their natural habitats - learning about behaviour and seeing it with my own eyes. I love seeing and learning about the flora too.

Of course, the safari experience is ameliorated by blue skies, warm (but not too hot) days and peaceful nights where the only disturbance is the grunting of buffalos, munching of hippos and elephants and calls of hyenas and lions. I'm definitely a fan of sleeping within canvas rather than brick or stone or even mud built walls...

I do enjoy meeting people too and am fascinated to learn about cultures very different to my own but... I'd be lying if I said it was this aspect that drew me to Africa.

Search this Thread