Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   What is there to do in Addis? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/what-is-there-to-do-in-addis-395556/)

wealthy_backpacker Feb 5th, 2004 06:04 AM

What is there to do in Addis?

I am taking a flight on Ethiopian airlines and have to change in Addis. On both the outward and return legs I have between 18-24hrs in Addis. Can anyone recommend a good value cheap hotel or an area of Addis where there are a lot of hotels? What about bars? Know any good ones? Also what is there to do other than drink? Any good places to go?

wealthy_backpacker Feb 16th, 2004 12:13 AM

Surely someone has been to Addis Abbaba?

Judy_in_Calgary Feb 16th, 2004 07:39 AM

I've never been to Ethiopia. My late uncle lived there about 30 years ago. He taught math at the university in Addis. He liked living there (or for that matter living in any third world country) because he liked going to the local markets and buying fresh food. He hated the frozen and pre-packaged foods of the west.

Anyway, when my uncle lived in Addis, he told us that, although it was a big city, it had no street names. The first time you visited someone, they had to fetch you and show you the way to their home. They couldn't give you directions as in, "Head north until 50th Avenue, then take a right into 20th Street." Well, that's how it was 30 years ago anyway.

My uncle showed us photos of one of those churches intricately carved down into the rock below ground level, but I have no idea how close to, or far from, Addis Ababa that might have been.

Have you ever been to Africa before?

wealthy_backpacker Feb 16th, 2004 08:56 AM

Thanks Judy

I too had heard that Addis is a bit of a maze. I think it is better than during your uncle's time.

I have only been to SA so this is the first proper trip.

worldexplorer Mar 16th, 2004 03:56 PM

Don't know if I am too late for your trip, but I would recommend the Dasalagn Hotel which is close to the center. Just ask any taxi driver and they will take you there. It is a very nice tourist class hotel which should cost about $25-$30/night - t.v., balcony, good restaurant, safe area. Right across the street is a wonderful restaurant with a popular bar. I can give you ideas on places to go if you want to email with your interests - [email protected] I've been several times for months at a time with my husband who is a former local.

wealthy_backpacker Mar 17th, 2004 12:11 AM

That hotel recommendation sounds good. I need a hotel - so thank you. My interests are quite dull - I like meeting locals in local bars and drinking and eating with them. I don't imagine I will fingd it that difficult to meet locals in Addis. But if you know of any areas which are good to wander around (ie, areas with shops, markets, bars, restaurants, nice open spaces etc I would be interested to hear. Also, if there are any amazing, must see sites, advice would be greatly appreciated. As I am only there for just under two days on two separate occasions I will not have oodles of time after getting into central Addis, eating an injera, sleeping and having a few drinks!