Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > What is the proper attire for Jerusalem, Jordan, Egypt??

What is the proper attire for Jerusalem, Jordan, Egypt??

Aug 28th, 2000, 12:06 PM
kiersten

What is the proper attire for Jerusalem, Jordan, Egypt??

We are traveling with a group of business associates, so I have to look appropriate for my peers, as well as for the local customs in Jordan, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Cairo, Luxor, and a kibbutz. During the day we will be touring, and in the evening attending private functions that require the men to wear jackets.

I was planning on wearing capri pants, and nice tshirts. Is it also OK to wear knee-length skirts? I assume sleeveless anything is pushing it for during the day.?

I know I need good footwear for the walking. Are trail-runners suitable, or even needed?(just in case: trailrunners are a cross btwn sneakers and light hiking boots).

Any/all input appreciated- I hate to over-pack!
K

Aug 29th, 2000, 09:09 AM
Debra

In Israel, anything goes except when you are by the religious sites--then sleeveless would not be OK.

Sep 11th, 2000, 06:16 AM
xxx

In Egypt, they say to dress very conservatively but in reality the tourists wear whatever they like (i.e. tank tops, tight pants, short skirts, etc.). The people wearing the revealing outfits were gawked at and therefore, more conservative clothes are recommended. You should be fine in capri pants and t-shirts.

Search this Thread