Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   What is the best month to go to Egypt? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/what-is-the-best-month-to-go-to-egypt-587941/)

epi Feb 3rd, 2006 12:39 PM

What is the best month to go to Egypt?

It is clear that summer is the wrong time to go to Egypt, but I wonder if there is any difference in the months October-March I have checked average temperatures and rainfall and those months all look quite pleasant.We would be taking a tour which includes a Nile trip, Abu Simbel and Luxor.

jasher Feb 3rd, 2006 04:12 PM

Hello,

The ideal time to go to any country really depends on what sort of weather you like (or dislike). Some people enjoy really warm weather, whereas personally I hate it. I'm going in March due to various work and other commitments for myself and my sister who is travelling with me, but I would have preferred February from a weather standpoint. It is definitely warmer in March, September, October, and November than it would be in January or February.

Note that Ramadan falls in October or November, and that this may have an impact on your trip. One positive impact will be that people won't be smoking constantly (otherwise a major problem in Egypt).

Cheers,
Julian

Grcxx3 Feb 3rd, 2006 07:52 PM

October can be hot during the day, but cools down nicely at night. March is a little more unpredictale. I remember several incredible "heat waves" hitting in March followed by several days of cold, "coat weather". BUt - either one is better than July or August.

As for Ramadan, I believe this past year Ramadan fell pretty much in the month of October. So next year, it will move back a little - starting in the mid-late part of September and into mid-October.

Conlet Feb 3rd, 2006 08:04 PM

We went thr first two weeks of November 2005, and it was just about perfect for traveling. Cairo was in the high 70s to low 80s, and low to mid 80s further south.

kleroux Feb 4th, 2006 06:20 AM

We went to Egypt in June. Apparently every year, at the end of the tourist season, they bring the Nile boats back to Cairo for repair. We were able to take one of those boats all the way up the Nile from Luxor to Cairo. It was a fantastic trip! It wasn't too hot. We toured places early in the morning, or late in the afternoon and the boat traveled during the heat of the day while we slept or enjoyed the view from our airconditioned cabins.

Doubletee Feb 7th, 2006 12:49 PM

I visited Egypt between March 9-15 last year, and the weather was quite pleasant. It had actually rained (maybe just drizzle?) in Cairo a day or two before we arrived, and the morning we went to the Pyramids was one of the loveliest days: bright blue skies, puffy white clouds.

Further south, though, in Aswan and Luxor, the sun gets even stronger. Temps were warmer, but not oven-like by any means. I was comfortable in a tan pair of cargo pants and light colored shirts.