What do the Bush Camps and Lodges do with

Dec 23rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

What do the Bush Camps and Lodges do with

The TRASH.

I have seen a lot of topics covered, but this one is very important. The batteries that give up on you. What happens to them? Into a hole in the ground maybe or do they haul them out? Shame on you for throwing them down the long drop. The plastic bottles- They either burn them or bury them most likely. What happens to the cans?

Just how many camps/lodges really transport their trash out of the bush? How responsible are this ECO camps? Just food for thought.

I have seen what happens at many camps and lodges. The collection of batteries to be hauled out is frequently just a ruse. Ask to see their cache of used batteries for disposal.
Dec 26th, 2005, 02:15 PM

I don't know what they do with the trash, but I know we were told before the trip to strictly limit throwing things away in the camps. As for cans, we had a basket weaving demonstration at one camp and the women had used rusted tin cans to dye some of the reeds, or whatever they made the baskets from. And we stopped in a couple of villages that had houses built of cans and some kind of concrete. The cans were arranged with the closed end toward the outside. Don't know what the inside looked like. Probably plastered over to cover the open ends. Also they had a pit with tin cans in it, which may have been either discarded or a place to store them until they were needed for something. Another thing we saw was figures of animals made out of cans that were cut with shears and painted. They use everything.
Dec 27th, 2005, 03:36 AM

In East Africa at least, all trash and garbage which cannot be recycled at the camp (compost, crafts, etc.) is trucked out on the same truck which delivers the weekly (or whatever) supplies. Burying and burning such an amount of refuse is not a good thing.
Dec 27th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Iíve only had one battery giving up on me in Kenya and I took it with me. I donít know what they do with them at camps.

In Basecamp Masai Mara, that has received prizes for best practise in this department, I was told all waste is recycled, burnt or composted. In Samburu Intrepids I saw an incinerator and compost surrounded by a lot of litter and there were some plastic bottles in the compost. In Tarhi Camp, Tsavo I was told they didnít have a problem with baboons because they treated the waste responsibly and everything was taken out. If transporting the waste out of the bush is responsible or not Iíd say depends on where it is transported and what is done with it at that place. The volume of waste could be reduced significantly if single use water bottles were abolished.

I love going on game drives and I donít really want to write this as nobody seems to have noticed and I feel like continuing with my eyes closed, but the amounts of diesel fuel that are consumed driving round and round looking for animals just arenít justifiable. At Basecamp I was told thatís their weakest spot. Theyíd been looking at more environmentally friendly vehicles, but itís just too expensive.

Search this Thread