Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   What did you use for a "day bag"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/what-did-you-use-for-a-day-bag-709927/)

Jess215 Jun 2nd, 2007 09:00 AM

What did you use for a "day bag"?

I'm not used to a back pack and my (digital) camera is very compact, but I will have all of the usual stuff "on me" on game drives, at meals, etc., including all my so-called valuables. I'll likely also be wearing a small "wallet" around my neck, or a slightly bigger cross-body carryall, that I'll throw in the larger, day bag when it is with me. Ths day bag will double as my international in-flight tote. Anything you guys loved? hated?
Thanks,
Jess

jasher Jun 2nd, 2007 11:27 AM

Hello,

I don't think they make it anymore but I have a 'messenger bag' style bag from Coach that I also use as a clinic bag when I'm at the hospital. I've had it since I was in medical school and it was worth the money -- it's held up very well. Mine is brown and a bit simpler, but it looks a lot like this one:

http://www.coach.com/content/product...ategory_id=538

Back before they instituted the 'one bag rule' at Heathrow this was my second carry-on bag (the other is a laptop bag).

Cheers,
Julian

Jess215 Jun 2nd, 2007 11:50 AM

Thanks, Julian That is a good suggestion. I often use LLBean's microfiber 14 1/2 by 14 1/2 by 7 1/4 tote bag on flights, but it's a bit large and has long double handles which are not all that versatile.
Jess

jasher Jun 2nd, 2007 02:35 PM

Hello Jess,

One of the things I like about the messenger-style bags is that the strap is long enough to across your body rather than just over the shoulder. More secure and IMO more comfortable.

Crumpler (makers of funky but practical camera bags) also make some nice messenger bags if you want something a bit more funky:

http://www.crumplerbags.com

Cheers,
Julian

Jess215 Jun 2nd, 2007 02:57 PM

Crumpler is going to do a lot of business- I will probably send their hilarious website to everyone I know!!! Still mulling over the bag decision - I keep imagining stuffing in a shirt, sunscreen, a coupla books, bug spray, socks,a hat, a scarf, etc. etc. etc. etc. Don't plan on Heathrow this trip, so I guess I won't HAVE to be able to stuff a purse in it too!
Jess

hills27 Jun 2nd, 2007 05:45 PM

Naneu Pro also has great bags. And cheaper than Crumpler (like 1/3 the price). Plus, for the next month or two they have free shipping and 15% off.

Jess215 Jun 2nd, 2007 07:05 PM

Hmm....a very good-looking collection.
Kipling's large Kos Travel Bag looks interesting also, don't you think? Saw it on ebags. but I'm sure it's widely sold.
Jess

nevermind Jun 2nd, 2007 07:42 PM

I hadn't used a backpack since college, but got one for our trip to Africa last year. I used it as my carry-on and as my day bag on safari. I especially liked it because I could use one of those little TSA locks to secure the zipper on the part where I kept all my valuables when I was dragging them all over Tanzania. I wasn't too worried, but it just made me feel more secure that I could make that compartment a little more difficult to get in to.

jasher Jun 3rd, 2007 02:41 AM

Hello,

Crumpler isn't cheap (especially in the UK), but I can say from experience that their stuff really takes a beating and keeps on going. If you think you'll be using the bag beyond this trip it might be something to keep in mind.

Kipling's also quite good, though I have to admit that whenever I see their stuff I think of school days because over here their bags are used primarily by schoolchildren and mums!

Cheers,
Julian

Duane Jun 3rd, 2007 05:53 AM

We just bought a cheap backpack from the LL Bean outlet store for $25. This is our carry on, computer bag as well as our day bag while on safari. Light, easy to carry and it has tons of room. When using as our carry on we will use it for our cameras, laptop and a few clothes that we don't want to check.

My thought is, if I don't already use a backpack or "day bag" now, then I probably won't use one once I get back. So, there is no need to spend a lot of money on something I probably won't use on a regular basis.

enjoy,
Duane

Jess215 Jun 3rd, 2007 11:19 AM

The Kipling intrigues me because the dimensions are 13 x 16 x 8 (in inches), - thus having a kind of vertically-oriented backpack shape w/o being a backpack. But is it "right-sized" for flights (international and internal) and game drives?Or at least a decent compromise?
Jess

jasher Jun 4th, 2007 05:49 AM

Hi Jess,

It depends on what you plan to put in it. It sounds like it should be fine. I just measured my bag and it's about 30cm x 29cm x9cm (about 11in x 11in x 3.5in)

Personally I prefer the horizontally orientated bags because I find it hard to find stuff which has fallen to the bottom when the opening is deep and narrow, but if you're more organised than I am that shouldn't be a problem. The most important thing is get something that you're comfortable with and that will hopefully see other use outside this trip.

Kipling has factory outlets in the UK (actually quite near to Oxford) and may have some in the US as well. Coach definitely has factory outlets in the US.

Cheers,
Julian

Jess215 Jun 4th, 2007 07:41 AM

That's good to know, Julian. Usually either a briefcase or a shopper/tote fills the bill, but unforch, neither is right for this trip.
Jess