Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   what constitutes "reasonable" photo equipment? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/what-constitutes-reasonable-photo-equipment-725893/)

debwarr Aug 2nd, 2007 12:44 PM

what constitutes "reasonable" photo equipment?

Hello. We are leaving for South Africa and Botswana in 18 days and I've been reading that a "reasonable" amount of camera gear doesn't count in the overall luggage weight restrictions. Does anyone have a feel for what would be judged reasonable? We have a couple of cameras and 5 lenses (one weighs about 4 lbs.), a monopod and various accessories (batteries, etc.). It fits into a medium photo backpack. We also have two pairs of binocs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cary999 Aug 2nd, 2007 02:05 PM

Where did you read this? From an airline you are flying? Or, from Fodors?
In my guesstimation, I'd say a reasonable amount is the amount you can personally carry, in one bag, without it appearing that is is a tough struggle to manage/carry.
If you think what you have may be a bit overboard, can you share it between the two of you? I'm not sure what "medium photo backpack" is. Is it small enough to be allowed for airline carry on size? That is the size I'd limit it to. And of weight so that it doesn't look like a ton when you carry it.

regards - tom

debwarr Aug 2nd, 2007 02:30 PM

Thanks, Tom. I've mostly read this on the Fodor's board and in a guide book. We're flying Lufthansa to get to Africa and since the bag is small enough to qualify for a carryon, I think we're okay there. Within Africa we'll be flying on Federal Air, Air Botswana, Nationwide Air and a charter from Gaborone to Chitabe. We'll also be on a small aircraft sometimes within SA, but our travel agent hasn't mentioned the specific carrier. (It's from Singita to J'burg, so it may be Federal Air). We may do as you suggested and split it up. We didn't have any problems the last time we were in SA (although we had a little less gear), but I'm more concerned about Botswana. Thanks for the advice.

Debbie

napamatt Aug 2nd, 2007 03:01 PM

My wife has a medium sized camera backpack. This constitutes her carry on luggage (particularly at 1 carry on, small bag Heathrow) on scheduled flights and also internal Botswana charter flights. She has two bodies, three lenses, flash, battery charger etc. This has never been an issue.

HariS Aug 2nd, 2007 06:27 PM

I haven't had a problem carrying on my photo equipment on Air Botswana or any of the inter-camp air transfers. Although, they do have weight restrictions, if what you have appears to be reasonable....they don't really weigh the bags.(atleast, my bags have never been weighed)

Rgds
Hari

debwarr Aug 3rd, 2007 06:08 AM

Napamatt and HariS....thank you both for helping me out. I feel much better now! If my pictures are decent I'll post some with a trip report when I return. I've been reading this forum for months (but a newbie poster) and have learned so much. I'm counting down the days...only 17 to go!