What Can be Accomplished in 8-9 days in Morocco

Feb 6th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

What Can be Accomplished in 8-9 days in Morocco

I'm planning a trip to Spain and Morocco in the fall for three weeks. We plan to be in Morocco for half of the trip. We like archiecture, ruins, exploring, shopping, horses and birding. It would be nice to ride a camel for a short period of time if possible. We are very interested in going to Chefchaouen, Fes-Meknes-Volulbilis. However, we also want to go to Marrakesh. Do you think this is feasible if we fly into Morocco from Spain and fly within the country instead of taking the train? I would appreciate your thoughts. If you don't think it is reasonable, which places would you recommend for a first visit to Morocco. Thanks!
Feb 6th, 2012, 09:50 AM

i would suggest to cover the following locatiions: Land in Marrakech- visit Essaouira, then go southwards to the desert Merzouga cut the long drive with an overnight in Dades Gorges, continue to the desert sleep one night in a hotel and second in the camp experience camel ride, then skip to Fes, Meknes then Chechaouen, from Chefchaouen you can go either to Tangier or Casablanca it depends on your flight's departure.
do your homework reading some itineraries through some websites.
Feb 6th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Hey Gina.

visitmorocco.com approved site
careful many first timer no profile touts
defamatory spammers like "planetraveller" above
seat61.com/morocco great info
for training around what I like to do.
I prefer the south it is prettier..
booking.com for nice riads in all your areas.
PM me if needed..Try to help newbies from getting
scammed by Maroc touts here a rather thankless task.
Pretty dodgy down there check consular advisories
and get some trip insurance.
www.affordabletours.com good tour info

Have fun!
Feb 6th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. Do you think that can be accomplished in 9-10 days. It sounds like a lot.
Feb 7th, 2012, 02:29 AM

Yes,easily You can travel down by train ferry train have done it. I prefer the south stay flexible for best experience. Several Years ago but I did the High Atlas Ultra marathon there and had a wonderful time. The desert is nice too if you like adventure Meknes Riad D'Oris my fav of the imperial cities.Great history and an ancient souk less touristy than the others. It canget dodgy many trolls and touts on the boards I never wire money CC only best to book on the groundandstay flexible for me. Have fun!
Apr 17th, 2012, 11:10 AM

I think there is sooo much to see in Morocco in 9 days. We only had 7, and we managed to see:
Fez, Meknes, spend a night in Merzouga, a night in the Sahara desert, drive through the Atlas Mountains, and spend a few days in Marrakesh. We did it with a guide, Lahcen Boujouija from Around Morocco who arranged the trip for us, he was our driver and we had 2 days that we spent 5-7 hours driving. But, there is so much to see and if you only have limited time, you don't want to miss anything.
But, it really depends on your travel style and what you want to do -- if you want to take it easy, then I'd say really narrow it down. From Fez to Merzouga (the desert) is a 7-8 hr. car ride. From Merzouga to Marrakesh is about the same. There are places and towns to stop and see on the way.