Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > What are things you would like to know about a hotel...

What are things you would like to know about a hotel...

Jul 6th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

What are things you would like to know about a hotel...

When you are searching for a hotel when planning a vacation, what are some of the things you would like to be able to search for/by?
For example, I asked my daughter and she said she would like to search for hotels by the proximity to popular nightclubs. Very logical search criteria for a young adult.
Please let me know any and all criteria that would be helpful in your search that you don't usually see in travel sites.
Current common search features are a given... like does it take pets (and the cost), is it beachfront, etc...
I am working on a hotel automation project and I want to make sure I am not overlooking and interesting possibilities.
I appreciate any and all ideas!
~Laura
Jul 6th, 2005, 03:24 PM
sandi

Personally - the "hidden charges" that one is never advised of when making reservations online or by phone, such as: spa fee; gym fee; resort fee; safe fee (even if you don't use); taxes of any sort and percentage. Of course, the phone charges (regardless that one may have a cellphone).

Jul 7th, 2005, 01:54 PM

This would be difficult to track, but hotels that have taken extra measure to soundproof their rooms. Very subjective, I know, but those that have done this deserve a special rating.

Also, for European hotels, the minimum room size (sq feet) for a particular room ranking. Hotels often tell you about the amenities associated with a standard twin vs. a deluxe or whatever, but they don't provide minimum sizes. I wonder why...
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Parking fees if someone chooses to rent a vehicle.
Also-the best feature I have seen on search engines (I think travelocity has this feature) is to give exact distance from the hotel to major attractions as well as suggested ways of reaching the attraction (taxi, train,etc.)
Jul 8th, 2005, 01:28 AM

Room size AND bathroom size plus photos of BOTH - so often it's the hotels with really lovely rooms that have the crappest bathrooms. Would want to know whether it had a bath or just a shower and if possible the size of the bathtub - I hate those places that say that they have a tub and then you get there and the tub is too small for a child let alone an adult.

Size of beds not just "double" - there's a huge difference between smallest doubles and queens and kings.

Location maps. I would not book a hotel without knowing it's location if we're talking about a city hotel.

Details on breakfast - what kind is it (a roll and some cheese, a fuller cold buffet or a complete hot and cold buffet) and what times is it available.

Whether it has airconditionig, heating, climate control, etc.

Jul 8th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Whether they offer room service. While this is not something I care about very often, it was something we wanted on our honeymoon last year, and wasn't always easy to find out.

Search this Thread