What about Sharm El Sheik?

May 21st, 2001, 05:22 PM
AA

What about Sharm El Sheik?

I will be going to Egypt most likely late July for a month or so. Is Sharm El Sheik worth my time from Cairo. Is there good snorkeling there?
Also, is it worth going to Alexandria? Where is the nicest place to stay?
Anyone, knowledgeable? Please help! Thank you!
AA

May 22nd, 2001, 12:43 AM
Debbie

Sharm in July will be about 110-120 degrees F. Can you handle that? I've heard that if you are a diver and you stay out on the boat the whole time, or in the water, it is almost bearable. You have to decide if you want to endure the heat. About the diving and snorkeling though...the answer is YES. It is great there.

Alexandria in July will be about the best place to be in Egypt in the heat of the summer. The cool Mediteranean breezes attract everyone there for the summers. The real downside to Alex in the summer is the mass quantities of people there. Cairaneans go to Alex in droves to escape the city heat. Make your hotel reservations early if you need a place to stay in the summer months. Depending on your budget, the location of the Sheraton is good. I don't hear wonderful reports about it as a hotel, but it does have it's own beach AND you are across the street from Montaza where there are more public beaches. The Cecil (a Sofitel chain hotel) on the Cornishe downtown is nice for the view you can get if you get one of the waterfront rooms. The street will probably be noisey though at night.

Have a nice trip.

May 23rd, 2001, 01:33 PM
cb

In addition to S-el-S and magnificent coral reefs, other interesting places in the Sinai area are Nuweiba to swim with some dolphins, Dahab, the colored canyon, and Mt Sinai.

Search this Thread