Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   What about money? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/what-about-money-979814/)

jaydh42 May 30th, 2013 09:58 PM

What about money?

The days are growing very short till our very first African Safari and the thought I just had is in regard to money in Kenya and Tanzania. Will we really need it or will credit cards and
good old US dollars suffice?

P.S. Just bought Ultrathon with sponge applicator. Anyone used it before?

Cateyes555 May 31st, 2013 04:53 AM

In Tanzania you can use US dollars everywhere. My friend actually tried to buy something with TZ money and the vendor refused! Insisted on US dollars.

cary999 May 31st, 2013 08:18 AM

Difference between cash and credit cards. Some (many?) vendors/merchants will not take credit cards. Most larger camps and establishments will take credit cards. Take cash, and nice clean, no marks, crisp, late issue bills.
regards - tom

astein12 May 31st, 2013 09:13 AM

Even 15 years ago, I had no problem getting Kenyan shillings from an ATM. Definitely get some, you'll find places where that's your only option for payment.

sandi May 31st, 2013 10:16 AM

In Nairobi specifically, most establishments want payment in local Kenyan shillings/KSh. You can withdraw about $100 worth to use in NBO and/or for lodge/camp staff tips on those safari days. Current exchange rate about USD$1 = 85Ksh so look to withdraw 8000Ksh from ATM.

Otherwise, USD are accepted in Kenya and Tanzania.

Credit cards maybe accepted at lodge/camps, but expect a surcharge of about 5% for use... why best to use cash.

atravelynn Jun 6th, 2013 07:23 PM

I hate to disappoint you but you may not have much need for the bug spray with sponge applicator. You can always tote it back home where the mosquitoes will probably be more plentiful.

If you take lots of new, unsoiled, unmarked US $1s, plus other new bills along with the insect repellent, you will be all set for anything.

georgennganga Jun 10th, 2013 10:02 AM

Best thing to do in Kenya is use ATM to withdraw cash. Maximum ATM withdrawal is Kshs.20,000 per day. The ATM rates are better than exchanging it in a bank.

Leely2 Jun 13th, 2013 07:10 PM

My experience only:

Kenya: shillings preferable, especially preferable in Nairobi as Sandi said above. You can tip at camps in dollars, but on my last trip I think I did most everything in Kenya in shillings.

Haven't been to TZ in 7 years (yikes! where did the time go?), but at that time it seemed more okay to use USD.

I hope you have a wonderful time. East Africa is my favorite-est place in the world.

jaydh42 Jun 18th, 2013 10:21 AM

Thank You all for chiming in! .....and as for Atravelynn, you are VERY funny. I appreciate your comments. So you think we will not have too many run-ins with mosquits, huh!? My motto is "be prepared." What about the spraying of outerwear? I bought the spray.....now I just have to do it....apply it. We leave on July 11..............countdown begins. we should start packing one of these days. Wife says July 1 will be soon enough.

Jay H.

Leslie_S Jun 19th, 2013 11:14 AM

jaydh42 - if you pack too soon you will start second-guessing yourself and unpacking/repacking. That's what happens to me anyway! I know you've been doing a lot of research in preparation so you probably have a good packing list compiled to help you on July 1 :)

Will you be doing any kind of trip report when you return? I'd love to hear about your experience with OAT.

crosscheck Jun 19th, 2013 04:05 PM

<Will we really need it or will credit cards and good old US dollars suffice?> In Kenya we used ATMs, but US cash was accepted for souvenirs at the camps. We were also encouraged to tip in US dollars.

<Just bought Ultrathon with sponge applicator. Anyone used it before?> Yes, but agree with atravelynn. You won't need it in July.

<What about the spraying of outerwear?> This idea has always disgusted/baffled me. If you're concerned, take one Buzz-off shirt, but you probably won't need it.

jaydh42 Jun 19th, 2013 07:28 PM

Hey Crosscheck,

The spraying of outerwear clothing and hats is, and you said it first [disgusting]. I've been thinking it is a little repulsive. My wife read what you wrote and she gave me a hard look and said, I don't care.....DO IT. I said, OK. One has to know when to pick his battles! Thanks for your opinion, however.

jaydh42 Jun 19th, 2013 07:31 PM

Hello Leslie,

I most likely will keep a journal and will do a trip report upon return. We each received a duffle bag from OAT and we will try to keep weight to 33 pounds each. Traveling LIGHT is the KEY. Correct.

amyb Jun 20th, 2013 04:50 AM

One other tip I found helpful, I took a very small notebook on all game rides and wrote down the names of animals as we encountered them. Each morning I'd take a picture of a fresh page that said 'Day Two - Ngorongoro Crater' or wherever we were going so I could then tie together the days, locations and animals sighted each day. It's obvious when you're looking at a lion or elephant, but hartebeest, topi, grey crowned crane, serval, lilac breasted roller are all somewhat forgettable names once you're home!

crosscheck Jun 20th, 2013 01:41 PM

<The spraying of outerwear clothing and hats is, and you said it first [disgusting]. I've been thinking it is a little repulsive.>

Yes, repulsive, also illogical. If you're a paranoid sort why would you want to ruin you clothes by dousing them with carcinogens? As others have noted, we didn't encounter one mosquito in Kenya in July.