Search

Eilat to Petra

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eilat to Petra

I am reading a lot about trips to Petra from Eilat. If you travel there independently, first- is it worth doing that? And can you find some guides at the entrance of Petra to take you around. Just wondering if it's doable on your own and stay overnight and then back mid-morning. thank you
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM

I wouldn't recommend it. We took a guided tour from Eilat and it was excellent but there are a few things that stood out. First, the our company expedited the border crossing process- without them doing so, it may have een much more stressfull. Second, there is very little along the road to Petra and there were several police along the way that were flagging down vehicles to stop them (our driver explained that is why they all hang flags of the king on their windows to show their loyalty and avoid suspicion). At Petra itself, you dont really need a guide- there are many people trying to hustle you for horse, donkey, camel rides etc through Petra. Our guides helped us avoid being completely ripped off. Petra was amazing (as was a trip through Wadi Rum), but I dont think I would go on my own.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Click on my name to see my overnight independent trip from Tel Aviv to Eliiat to Petra. Very easy. Just hire a Jordanian company (we used RedRock tours ) to transport you. We found them on the on the internet. Border crossing very simple. Movenpick hotel excellent. Not bad to hire a guide at Petra...we didn't only because we went very early to avoid the heat in August. Yes, not much to see on the road but still interesting. Police did not bother us. Few cars on highway, mainly trucks. Petra is very, very well worth it...a MUST SEE.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 04:01 PM

Gman52 - what tour did you use for Eilat to Petra?
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 09:55 PM

I have recently toured with Artium Dostman of Exclusive Tours and he has been caught for fraud. His tour agency has been suspended by Hostelworld as of July 2013. Please refer to TripAdvisor forums on his tour company to verify this notification. He scams tourists and overcharges them, leaving them at the Jordanian border and then harasses them online. Please be aware of this agent. Thank you.
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 12:15 AM

Thanks Yogita. Your paragraph is very informative for tourist.