Whale/shark watching in march?

Feb 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Whale/shark watching in march?

I am going to South Africa with my family ( my wife, two kids aged 5 and 9)in march 2014, my wife really wanna see whales and the shark-cage diving, but I can see on various websites that march isn't the best time. But is there anywhere in South Africa in march where there is a (slight) chance that we could go whale-watching or shark-cage diving?

We will rent a car, we have 6 weeks, do we have to book accommodation in advance or could we just turn up? I am still trying to decide if we should rent a 4x4 with camping equipment and stay at campsites or take a normal car and stay in lodges, We will go to Kruger, St.Lucia wetland, Cape Town, Hluhluwe-Imfolozi and hopefully lots of other great places
Feb 19th, 2013, 01:30 AM

No whales that time of year, they start to arrive in June.
May 6th, 2013, 03:08 AM

Unfortunately you can only cage dive with sharks like the Great White in two places in the world now one is mexico the other is in Adelaide(Australia) this is due to sharks becoming used to humans, therefore increasing the number of possible attacks and sightings. If anywhere else then they wont have a correct valid licence. Go Adelaide if you get the chance/choice
I wouldn't say you have to book accommodation in advance in the places mentioned but its always a good idea as often it will be cheaper in the long run and cuts out stress
June time would be better for whales etc.

Search this Thread