Western Serengeti best for migration in July?

Nov 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Western Serengeti best for migration in July?

Hi again,

I'm putting the finishing touches to my safari for July next year.
The itinary that Roy's have come up with takes us to western Serengeti to maximise our chances of seeing the migration, but on another post I read that the Northern serengeti was best in July?

I'd also be interested in opinions on the camping and the sites. I opted for 2 nights in central Serengeti to avoid any "one-nighters" though I appreciate the action will probably be in the western corridor. Is this the right option to take?
Here's is latest itinery

3rd July - Arrive in Arusha. Drive to Tarangire. o/n Tarangire Swala Camp - OK
4th July - Full day Tarangire. o/n Tarangire Swala Camp - OK
5th July - Game drive in Tarangire. Overnight at Gibbs Farm - Waitlisted for now, booked Plantation Lodge as stand-by option,
6th July - Drive to Ngorongoro. SLC in private campsite. (Tembo B SpecialCampsite)
7th July - Ngorongoro. SLC in private campsite. (Tembo B SpecialCampsite)
8th July - Central Serengeti (via Olduvai Gorge and Shifting Sands). Semi-lux camping in private campsite (Turner B Special Camp)
9th July - Central Serengeti. Semi-lux camping in private campsite (Turner B Special Camp)
10th July - Western Serengeti. SLC in private campsite (Kirawira 1 Special Camp)
11th July - Western Serengeti. SLC in private campsite (Kirawira 1 Special Camp)
12th July - Fly to Zanzibar with 10h05 Regional Air flight, arriving in Znz at 14h00 met & transferred to Emerson & Green for (The Keep Suite, BB) - OK
13th July - Drive to Matemwe Beach Village for overnight at Shamba Suite HB)
14th - 19th July - Matemwe Beach Village (Shamba suite HB)
20th July - Transfer to Zanzibar airport for P/Air flight to Nairobi. Departing Znz at 12h30, arriving Dar at 12h50, departing Dar at 15h15, arriving in Nairobi at 16h30.

TOTAL PRICE = US$5165pp

Thanks for any help

Jules

Nov 10th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Haven't been yet, but everything I've read says that you need to be in the Northern Serengeti in mid-July for the best chance to catch the migration.

Climbhigh listed his recommendations in this thread:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34688958

Here's the relevant quote:

"In 2005, the wildebeest were in central and southern Seronera by late May, then in the Western Serengeti by early-mid June and started to enter the Masai Mara in early July.

Thus my best guess would be:

June 1 to 15 - split your time between Western Serengeti camps (Mbalegeti, Grumeti, Kirawira) and central Seronera lodges/camps (EMC, Nomad Serengeti, etc even Mbuzi Mawe)

June 15 to June 30 - Split your time between Northern Seronera lodges/camps (Mbuzi Mawe, Migration camp) and Sayari Mara (or other camps in this area)

July 1 to July 31 - Sayari Mara or other camps in this area"

So, it would seem that central and northern Serengeti would offer your best chances. Of course, I say "best chances" since this seems like a very hard thing to predict. Ideally, one would ask the wildebeest, but I haven't been able to find their website. I'm sure the zebras know, but they aren't talking.
Nov 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I also think northern Serengeti is better for you in July. Central Serengeti is always pretty good, so that would be fine too, and not just for transportation ease.

I'd ask Roy's about the Western part again and I'd be interested in their response if you care to share it.
Nov 11th, 2005, 04:21 AM
sandi

Since most of your safari time is the early part July, you'll likely still find the herds in Western Serengeti, rather than further north closer to the Kenya/Mara border.

But, from year-to-year - it's always a guess, as we don't have direct communications with the wildies and zebs. They can be anywhere and move from day-to-day, even hour-to-hour.

However, since you're on a private safari - own guide & vehicle - you'll be able to arrange for full-day safari game drives and go where the herds may be located on any given day.

Search this Thread