West Africa- which country to visit?

Apr 12th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

West Africa- which country to visit?

Please help me decide which west african country to choose to visit this Christmas. The only other country we have visted in Africa is South Africa- the northeastern part was our favorite part- the Natal area and St. Lucia; also Swaziland. Not that keen on the Cape town area. We enjoy friendly people, plan to either rent a car or a car and a driver, bringing our two teens, like wildlife and music. Would like to be able to drive around within the country. Thinking we may enjoy Ghana or Senegal? I would like to hear comments from those who have visited a few of the West african countries. Thanks!
Apr 12th, 2005, 11:29 PM

I lived for three years in Ghana and if you are friendly people looking for friendly people (especially ones who speak English) that would be my choice. The Ghanaians are really special in their warmth, humour and positive attitude toward visitors; none of the chip on the shoulder former colonial mentality I encountered in many of the countries I have visited all over Afric. I have to say that 'tourist' attractions and amenities are a bit limited; certainly not the variety and quality of the ones you would have encountered in South Africa but the human contact with the Ghanaians largely compensates for this. Don't forget, though, that Ghana like most West African countries is very poor so if you have a low tolerance level for poverty, be prepared.
Apr 13th, 2005, 03:36 AM

Ghana - fabulous country. Love it. Can't claim tedgale's long acquaintance but I have many memories of my time there that are special.

So refreshing to find a post about West Africa.

Have a fabulous time!
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Ghana....HANDS DOWN....I was there in Dec 2003/Jan 2004 and Dec 2004/Jan 2005.Ghana gets two thumbs way up. Happy Travels!

Search this Thread