Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   west africa---togo,benin,ghana,mali (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/west-africa-togo-benin-ghana-mali-270826/)

chris Nov 4th, 2002 11:53 AM

west africa---togo,benin,ghana,mali

I'm trying to put together a trip to West Africa for next december and would love input from folks who traveled in the area of the world<BR><BR>thinking fly to lagos (from NYC) then overland through togo, benin, to accra<BR><BR>from there fly to bomako through bukina faso<BR><BR>then out to timbuktu and back to bomako<BR><BR>from there i have not figured out the best way to get out or the most cost efficient<BR><BR>???? probably fly back to lagos through accra or maybe overland to dakar but that sounds like hell <BR><BR>thinking of planning the trip out of dakar<BR>but from New York... Lagos seems to be a little less expensive<BR><BR>any info greatly appreciated<BR><BR>

Michael Nov 4th, 2002 01:48 PM

Of the countries you listed, I have only visited Benin, Togo and Ghana, but I would advise flying into Accra and then maybe catching a flight to Cotonou, Benin. I originally planned on flying into Lagos, but from what I've heard about the airport and ground travel in Nigeria, I decided it would be wiser and safer to avoid Nigeria.

chris Nov 5th, 2002 03:44 AM

Micheal, thanks... i was wondering what safety conditions would be like on the ground in nigeria....there is a meridien in lagos and i plan to contact them for further information<BR><BR>can you give me any information on accomdations in benin and togo<BR><BR>accra has plenty of choices from for accomodations<BR><BR>what about time in all three countries....is 3 days in each enough<BR><BR>are there sights to see or is it mosdtly just kinda traveling through to have a look...not looking to lay on the beach or by a pool<BR><BR>would love to snorkel a bit<BR><BR>also any airline information would be great...<BR><BR>thanks chris<BR>

Michael Nov 5th, 2002 01:18 PM

In Benin, I based myself at the Sheraton in Cotonou, and from there I visited the royal palaces in Abomey (I hired a car with driver), Ganvie (a village on stilts in a lagoon) and Ouidah (to me, not that interesting, but close to Cotonou). The most interesting thing in Cotonou was the Grand Marche, a very large market with a large fetish (dried animals, bones, feathers) section.<BR><BR>I only spent a few hours in Togo on my way from Benin to Ghana, basically to sightsee within Lome (the capital) and visit its fetish market. Three days might be a little much in Togo and you might want to extend your time in Ghana, the highlight for me of that trip. I also made it into Cote d'Ivoire, but in light of recent political turmoil, it might not be a safe destination at this time.<BR><BR>I think the sea in the Bight of Benin is too choppy for snorkeling, but I could be mistaken. There also is no reef so I'm not sure what sealife you'd see. Others may have better info on this than I do.

chris Nov 20th, 2002 07:49 AM

can anyone tell me who i can book flight from accra to bomako and back from here in the states<BR><BR>air france<BR>air ghana<BR>air cameroon<BR><BR><BR>also has anyone taken the train from bomako to dakar????? cost??? comfort??? time and how many departures a week???<BR><BR>thanks<BR>chris