Weigh limit in Botswana travelling with A&K

Sep 26th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Weigh limit in Botswana travelling with A&K

Im from Spain -sorry about my english- and Im leaving on four weeks to Zimbabwe/Botswana for my honeymoon. My itinerary is:

Victoria Falls Hotel (2 nights)
Matetsi (2 nights)
Chobe Chilwero (3 nights)
Sandibe (3 nights)
Touessrok - Mauricio (4 nights)

Im travelling with A&K, and Ive been informed that my luggage should be limited to 12 Kg.

But in previous posts Ive read that some companies have increased the limit up to 20 kgs. Does anyone know if this new weight limit also applys to camp-to-camp flights usually used by A&K or is only limited to wilderness safaris travellers?

Also, I would appreciate if someone could confirm if hand luggage (camera, etc) is also included in this new limit.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Sep 26th, 2006, 05:50 AM

You need to check with A&K. Different outfitters use different size planes, which causes the differences in the weight limits.
Previous posts have conflicting information about whether hand luggage is included in the weight limit.

And your English is perfect.
Enjoy your honeymoon!
Sep 26th, 2006, 05:54 AM
santharamhari

Hi! First of all, congratulations on the wedding.

If A&K have specified 12kgs, i would think that's still their limit. You can carry your camera, purse etc., with you on the plane and isnt usually part of the weight.

All the places you have listed have daily laundry services, so you should be ok to stick to the weight restrictions.

Enjoy your honeymoon!!!

Btw, where is Touessrok?

Hari

Sep 26th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Le Touessrok is in Mauritius (I put the name in Spanish- sorry!). It belongs to One & Only resorts.
Sep 26th, 2006, 06:11 AM
santharamhari

Oh, Ok...sounds fantastic!!! Enjoy!!!

Sep 26th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Hello,

The 20kg limit is specifically for trips to Wilderness Safaris camps using their airline, Sefofane. 12kg is pretty standard for the other charter airlines.

Given that the camps will do laundry daily, this should be plenty. I packed everything I needed for a three-week trip to Botswana and SA into a single dufflebag which weighed less than 12kg.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 26th, 2006, 11:48 AM

We leave one week from today with A&K and will be at Chobe Chilwero for 2 nights. A&K just recently up their weight limit(use to be 21 now 44lbs)but do call to confirm that. I was told that camera equip DOES count in that weight limit, again diff people report diff answers to this question. A&K has not been great at answering my questions, we are one week out and I still have NO documents....

Oh, congrats on your marriage!

momofmany
Sep 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your answers!

I will check with the spanish agent and will inform you if I get any clear response.

Sep 26th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Hi Maria of Spain,

I have recently been in Botswana and Zimbabwe, and stayed at Matetsi and Sandibe, and in 2001 was at Chobe Chilwero. I did not travel with A&K this last trip but did in 2001. My luggage limit was 12 kgs, which I was close to at the start of the trip, and at no time was it ever an issue, even though I was on very small planes at times. So I do not think I would be too concerned about a few kilos, but certainly use soft sided bags that can be shoved in any place, not the hard sided suitcases!

The staff at Matetsi and Sandibe were all lovely and the accomodation and food very nice. Matetsi has the nicest outlook for breakfast and lunch that I have ever seen, that Zambezi River makes for a wonderful backdrop. I am hoping you see heaps of Sable, which unfortunately I didn't because they are such magnificent antelope. I had Kheto and Kenias as my ranger/tracker team and they were wonderful. If you get the opportunity say Hi from Kaye from Australia, the Sable Freak, and I am sure they will remember me then!

I also have very fond memories of Chobe Chilwero with all those huge ele heards heading across the plains. Also saw 2 single sable bull here.

At both places I highly recommend the boat cruise, they were fantastic as you saw a lot of things that you do not see from a vehicle.

Enjoy your wedding and have a fantastic honeymoon in Africa!!!

Kind regards,
Kaye
Sep 27th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi!

Kaye, I read your report on your trip and Im a little bit concerned about game viewing, which seems to be not the best in the area. Anyway, its our honeymoon so we will surely enjoy. Of course Ill say hi to Kheto and Kenias in Matetsi from you.

In other hand, I have A&K answer about weight limit. They have confirmed me that the limit has been increased up to 20 kgs (hand luggage included). They use Mackair company for light flights.

Hope this information will be helpful.

Regards,

Maria
Sep 28th, 2006, 10:15 PM
santharamhari

Maria,

20kgs, wow!!! now, you can take all the luggage you hoped to take...

Enjoy!!!

hari