Search

weather on nile river cruise in late december/early january

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
rfk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weather on nile river cruise in late december/early january

What kind of weather can I expect at that time of year?
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 04:14 AM

We went in early Feb. and the weather was 60-75 degrees with no rain. The temp a month earlier should be a few degrees cooler. See weatherbase.com for temps and precipatation.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM

Daytime temps will be warm to hot. The farther south (Aswan) will be somewhat hotter than north (Luxor), and can reach into the 90s... though relatively dry; little humidity. Your cruise boat will have air-conditioned rooms and public space. The evening temps can drop 30-degrees if outside on the boat decks, where a jacket or wrap maybe needed.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Can someone help me with dress on Oberie Phile. On their web site one night it says black & white dinner. We will be on the shop October 5-9th. Does my husband need to wear slacks & closed shoes. How dressy for women? Thanks ahead-Chris
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM

No Tuxedos required. This is not like what would be expected on a traditional very very large cruise boat (and even those nowadays don't go all that formal, if at all).

The "black & white dinner migh be what is usually a "galabeya" party, where passengers dress in traditional Egyptian costumes; with ship's crew (and passenger participation welcomed) providing entertainment - song/dance - and lots of fun. Some attire/costumes can be rented from the boat's shop, or you can pick up items at very reasonal prices from the vendors (later used at home... your own souvenir) along the cruise route.

Open toe shoes are fine for men and women, whether sandals and even flip-flops. Hubby might want to have a nice pair of black slacks that can be used for this or for a posh dinner while in Cairo; few places require men to wear ties, though never any harm tossing one into his bag. And, you'll be fine with what's comfy, whether pants, dress, skirt. It's all very casual and relaxed.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks-there is a galabeya party one other night-I'll just buy one for him for that. We fly business so he wears a pair of slacks coming but they usually arn't black & they stay in suitcase till we go home. Thanks Chris
PS I just looked in his closet & found a pr of lightweight levi slacks. Now I'm set
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 10:50 AM

We were on the Oberoi Philae in late January and the "black & white dinner" was far less formal that I had thought it might be. I'd say a little more than half of the passengers dressed in "black/white" clothing while the others didn't bother to participcate. It was casual and fun. No need to worry about open toed shoes! My husband wore a dinner jacket that evening and he was one of the very few men who did. There was more participation the night of the galabeya party - almost everyone had on some kind of "costume". Be prepared when you come down the staircase to dinner - the ships photographer will be waiting down below to take you picture as you make your grand entrance! The pictures will be available for purchase and they made a nice souvenir.