Weather In South Africa?

Feb 17th, 2000, 08:19 AM
phil

Weather In South Africa?

I'm planning on a trip to South Africa in November around thanksgiving. Can someone tell me how the weather is during that period or can recommend a better time to visit the following itinerary:
Cape Town/Port Elizabeth/ Durban/ Swaziland/Kruger National Park/Johannesburg

Thanks for your input.

Feb 18th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Bert

November is a transitional month in much of Southern Africa, from late spring to early summer. It can be quite hot in the lowveld (Kruger Park), with day-time highs well into the 90's F. It is not unusual to get early summer rain in November, especially in the north-eastern quadrant of South Africa.

Cape Town and Johannesburg are quite pleasant in November. Cape Town is likely to experience mostly clear skies, Johannesburg chance of showers brought on by brief afternoon thunderstorms. Cape Town is 1,000 miles south of Johannesburg, but temperatures in the two cities are often very similar. Johannesburg's relative proximity to the equator is offset by its altitude of just more than 5,280 ft (a mile high city).

So average afternoon highs for November are 72F in CPT, 74F in JNB; average temperature at dawn 58F CPT, 56F JNB. Average wind speed in November is 19 mph in CPT, 10 in JNB. Average humidity at dawn is 84% in Cape Town, 82% in Jo'burg, dropping to average afternoon relative humidity of 61% CPT, 49% JNB.

Cape Town falls in the winter rainfall area of South Africa, and November (last month of spring) is usually dry, average precipation in CPT 0.4 inches for the month. November is a rainy month on the highveld, so Jo'burg's average rainfall for the month is 4.7 inches.

All things being equal, October would be better than November, with significantly lower average rainfall in much of the north-east, as well as on the highveld.

Feb 19th, 2000, 12:57 PM
geri

I spent three weeks in South Africa in November/December a few years ago. The weather was very pleasant and the jacaranda trees were in full bloom. I don't think it rained the whole time. My time was spent in J'Burg, Cape Town, Durban and Kruger NP. If the opportunity presented itself again, I'd be on my way in a minute.

Search this Thread