Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Weather in Sept in Capetown? Johannesburg,VIctoria Falls?

Old Nov 26th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sept making trip to South Africa, and Zimbabwe. Don't know what to wear?
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, although all three of these destinations are in Southern Africa, the weather in Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Victoria Falls will differ dramatically.

I live in Cape Town for a few years and although September is the first month of Spring, it is can be one of the wettest months of the year. Cape Town's wettest month is usually August and the rain usually spills over into September. You will have hot days in between the rain, but don't expect African heat every day of the week. The sunny days in September are really great though, as the wind will not yet have picked up. You will definitely need something warm and waterproof.

I am not sure about temperatures in Jo'burg during this time, but I do know they have very cold and dry winters, as well as very hot and wet summers. Spring is, however a mystery to me as I have never been to Johannesburg during this time.

The weather in Victoria Falls is very important. Besides the usual affect weather will have on your trip, rains in this area affect The Falls itself, safari conditions, as well as various activities around The Falls (such as whitewater rafting). I know this becomes rather complicated, I had trouble when planning a road trip from Cape Town to Victoria Falls, however I did find a really useful Victoria Falls Weather guide created by a local safari lodge. It covers the effect of most seasonal conditons.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
basexpatexplore. I notice you have topped several oldish threads today -- this one is from 2017 and the trip was in Sept last year. Pretty sure the OP is not still interested.